testing me tester...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Evening all

Just slinking off to bed after a fun couple of hours reading the BRB!

Hoping someone will be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong...I was told by my tutor that I'd be able to check whether or not my tester was working ok by putting connector blocks on the end of a resistor and testing for continuity to see what resistance I get.

Anyway, currently getting an open circuit reading!!! I know that this particular resistor should be giving me approx. 0.05Mohm resistance...

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this could be happening?

Thank you and goodnight!:zPray

Evening allJust slinking off to bed after a fun couple of hours reading the BRB!

Hoping someone will be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong...I was told by my tutor that I'd be able to check whether or not my tester was working ok by putting connector blocks on the end of a resistor and testing for continuity to see what resistance I get.

Anyway, currently getting an open circuit reading!!! I know that this particular resistor should be giving me approx. 0.05Mohm resistance...

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this could be happening?

Thank you and goodnight!:zPray
On continuity 0.05MegOhm (OR 0.050,000 MegOhm OR 50Kohm)

will be too high for your continuity scale!

so it will read open circuit.

you may get a reading on Ins Res scales though!? ;)

HTH;)

You need one of theseAnd for the most detailed instructions on use see here
Surprise, surprise - I still haven't made it to bed yet! Shall regret yet another late night when my young 'un wakes up at 0600hrs!!!

Thanks Apache - this purchase seems very necessaryApplaud Smiley

On continuity 0.05MegOhm (OR 0.050,000 MegOhm OR 50Kohm)will be too high for your continuity scale!

so it will read open circuit.

you may get a reading on Ins Res scales though!? ;)

HTH;)
Thanks Special. Must admit, that I'm still not quite grasping megohm, kilohm conversions :_| . Will ask hubby if he can get me a resistor which WILL give me a reading on my tester.

BTW, my tester is a Fluke 1652. Is this a good one? Chose it 'cos it was what I was used to using when doing my course.

Thanks Special. Must admit, that I'm still not quite grasping megohm, kilohm conversions :_| . Will ask hubby if he can get me a resistor which WILL give me a reading on my tester.BTW, my tester is a Fluke 1652. Is this a good one? Chose it 'cos it was what I was used to using when doing my course.
Your continuity readings, e.g R1+R2, and max Z's values

typically are around 1ohms or 2ohms generally less than 10ohms!

insulation resistance values are greater than 1Meg ohms which is 1,000,000ohms!

e.g. at least 100,000 times higher than the R1+R2 values..

the Caltronics card is very good, giving a range of suitable test resistors! :) ;)

OP, yes the Fluke you have is an excellent tester, also the Caltronics card is an awesome piece of kit to have in any tool kit. Well worth the money. :)

concur totally,

I use a 1652 every day, sometimes on a few occasions,

and I would most deffo recommend the caltronics card as a VERY good reference point to check your readings.

as has been said, you need to use the "ins res" setting for 0.5meg, if i remember correctly the 1652 only goes up to 200k (0.2 ?) on continuity.

sounds like you boys have got yourself some commission arrangement! ]:)

:S "NOT" :^O :^O:^O:^O

oh by the way...

The Caltronic CallCard is good!

(thats my Christmas bonus sorted! :p :) :x )

I think I can safely say.. you will not regret it!pound for pound functionallity....

you cant beat it IMHO!

the bees knees.. and the

Dogs dangly bits..

as they say!

:eek: :p:^O:x
Thats a very good description Specs. Guiness Drink Applaud Smiley:) :)