The Good Old Days .... Or Were They ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've done this before but often new horrors are unearthed .

Younger sparks find some of the stuff hard to believe in a world where the firm wants jobs turned over quicker & quicker.

Going back to being an apprentice  with a very large contractor , mostly working on industrial installation  & large commercial  sites .  Actually no domestic whatsoever other than the odd foreigner TBH .

So a few bullet points  ( I think thats the buzzword) 

1)    Tools were very dear in relation to a sparks earnings   ( Sparks on £25.00 /week ...Stanley 10ft rule @ £5.00 )

2)    Self employed sparks unheard of other than in the domestic line.

3)    No employed sparks actually had an power drill , most had in kit a wheelbrace or swingbrace .

4)     A typical job could be , say, 10 sparks & 5 apprentices , there would be 3 power drills , non hammer, big heavy Wolf     

things .

5)     SDS unheard of .  First hammer drills were the old ratched cam type

6)      Fixing holes plugged by hand with a Rawlplug Tool & hammer.  (The Devil's Device) ( Fixing one saddle= 10mins)

7)     Most wiring had no earth wire , trunking & conduit acting as earth conductor .

8)    A good point was , all cable was stranded until Metrication Day when 7/.029 became 2.5mm.sq Solid crap core.

9)   Sparks dayrate was higher than most trades but chippies, brickies, plumbers, heating engs, plasterers, painters etc all

worked   on a price , forsaking their hourly rate while it was totally discouraged for sparks .   

So your average sparks , young, just married, 1 child, struggling with mortgage...so often did not own a car.

10 )  Some were still using a wooden bending block to set conduit ........plastic conduit unheard of.

11)    Also unheard of was any kind of testing :C or certifying  ...certifying  :pmsl1:     other than meggering Pyros .  

12)    I saw sparks on a big new housing development drilling the joists with swingbraces or augers  :eek:

I'll let others come in with their memories of the not so good old days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent a month augering joists on a big estate...i still have the auger

Flying splice joints with Blakeley tape

Alex plugs

Black jap screws ENAMEL conduit....not painted shite

Hand threading a full length of 3/4 conduit

Billy cans

Wooden handled cabinet screwdrivers

Maun snips

2" No6 woodscrews to fasten switches back to wooden backboxes

The wind up megger.

Avo 8

Cutters, pliers, screwdrivers etc were NOT insulated.

Screwits

wooden rawl plugs

Yankee pump action screwdriver

Slide hammer action nail puller (Still use mine now)

Anyone use a Turfer  (My spelling ?)  for pulling armoureds in ?     A large metal cased , ratcheting device that pulled a steel wire rope through itself with a cable attatched , say 20m away .   Had to attatch it to a stanchion or whatever.

It seemed to be there were one of two methods for pulling armoured in .

One was to throw lots of blokes at the job and one with a loud voice shouting  ...Aaaaaye.....Yupppp!  to co-ordinate everyone to pull at the same time . 

The Turfer was much less labour but if possible , set the Turfer up at the correct point in the route after fitting temporary rollers at various points , fit sock to cable , attatch cable to wire rope  and start apprentices off ratcheting it in .  I think it moved about 8inches  on each pull .

We pulled some fairly big 'uns in with just a sparks & 2 apprentii  . 

Anyone else have a set of "sleeve needles" made as an apprentice.  For threading rubber cable number sleeves onto cables (with a bit of helerine oil as lubricant)

I have a set of needles for putting ferrules on cable ends (up here - ferrules = cable ID) I remember using the rawlplugging tool, bit and brace etc. I remember installing storage heaters (DNO days) when someone bought a 7.2v bosch cordless (about £150 lots of money then) and demonstrated putting 3" x 10 fixing screws in with them, then using it with a phillips bit to rapidly remove all the self tappers off the inner cover. We were all amazed and this simple device revolutionised fitting storage heaters.....

As far as augers go, these days I use flat bits with my dewalt cordless 18v. Can do a whole house with 28mm holes on a single charge no problem. Who would have thought it back then?

ALEX plugs......aluminium rawlplugs favoured by BT

MAUN snips.....compound action snips ...a bit the like old style F crimpers for small pyro pots

Needles....still,got them somewhere

The puller you mention is a TIRFOR......still available. I use one for tensioning overhead data and comms catenary cables

Footprints

Belly/breast drill

Short sweep leccys brace

Spoon bits

Star drill...big rawltool

Duriums

Asbestos cement filler that you moulded into a gobbit to fill an oversized hole for a rawlplug

ALEX plugs......aluminium rawlplugs favoured by BT

MAUN snips.....compound action snips ...a bit the like old style F crimpers for small pyro pots

Needles....still,got them somewhere

The puller you mention is a TIRFOR......still available. I use one for tensioning overhead data and comms catenary cables

Footprints

Belly/breast drill

Short sweep leccys brace

Spoon bits

Star drill...big rawltool

Duriums

Asbestos cement filler that you moulded into a gobbit to fill an oversized hole for a rawlplug
I'd forgotten about those , as you say , a carpenter's swingbrace  with a short crank for getting between joists.

And Star drills , yes for plugging big holes  for rawlbolts . 

Made me think of Redheads now ,  self drilling anchor , drill hole , withdraw, insert Redhead ,  ( a cone shaped wedge) drill the anchor back in & snap it off at the purpose made weak point .      Left a threaded hole . 

Were they  Phillips Redheads ?

Last edited by a moderator:
We've done this before but often new horrors are unearthed .

Younger sparks find some of the stuff hard to believe in a world where the firm wants jobs turned over quicker & quicker.

Going back to being an apprentice  with a very large contractor , mostly working on industrial installation  & large commercial  sites .  Actually no domestic whatsoever other than the odd foreigner TBH .

So a few bullet points  ( I think thats the buzzword) 

1)    Tools were very dear in relation to a sparks earnings   ( Sparks on £25.00 /week ...Stanley 10ft rule @ £5.00 )

2)    Self employed sparks unheard of other than in the domestic line.

3)    No employed sparks actually had an power drill , most had in kit a wheelbrace or swingbrace .

4)     A typical job could be , say, 10 sparks & 5 apprentices , there would be 3 power drills , non hammer, big heavy Wolf     

things .

5)     SDS unheard of .  First hammer drills were the old ratched cam type

6)      Fixing holes plugged by hand with a Rawlplug Tool & hammer.  (The Devil's Device) ( Fixing one saddle= 10mins)

7)     Most wiring had no earth wire , trunking & conduit acting as earth conductor .

8)    A good point was , all cable was stranded until Metrication Day when 7/.029 became 2.5mm.sq Solid crap core.

9)   Sparks dayrate was higher than most trades but chippies, brickies, plumbers, heating engs, plasterers, painters etc all

worked   on a price , forsaking their hourly rate while it was totally discouraged for sparks .   

So your average sparks , young, just married, 1 child, struggling with mortgage...so often did not own a car.

10 )  Some were still using a wooden bending block to set conduit ........plastic conduit unheard of.

11)    Also unheard of was any kind of testing :C or certifying  ...certifying  :pmsl1:     other than meggering Pyros .  

12)    I saw sparks on a big new housing development drilling the joists with swingbraces or augers  :eek:

I'll let others come in with their memories of the not so good old days.

1.£14.5 my first qualified wage

10. remember it well.

11. testing, what was that?

6, rawplug tool oh don't remind me

Ooooh

First wage..... That'd be £47 as a 16 year old apprentice (1987).. went up to £63 when I was 17

I was working for the MOD then,,, IIRC my mate who was an apprentice for MANWEB (as it was at that time) as an electrician was on £100....and then in Feb 1990 he got shed loads of overtime

As for tools,, I remember the windup megger and AVO8,,,, but then again I used to use loads of different types and makes of test gear,,, all of it specified for the specific equipment and test being carried out

oh, first wage,

29£

mum got 10£ and an extra fiver if I worked saturday, boss gave me 15quid for a saturday, [cash in hand, but dont tell anyone,,,,,]

went to 40£ week after 6months,  :)

That was the second variant

I had/ have the original.......7.2V if i recall correctly

A real mans drill

I got laughed at until i used it to drill,some 3mm holnes in a girder so i could tap it....then everyone wanted to borrow mine....AND you could fit it inside a 300 mm kitchen cupboard

Just.....being a tool whoooooooar

Latest posts