Theres something I wasn't actually aware of .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking to my neighbour about his son leaving school later this year ,  he,s thinking about  being an electrician  .  What I  wasn't aware of is that another two years  compulsory further education is required  at 6 th form college or local college  .    But doing some  course  other than electrical .    So not leaving eduction until  age 18  then starting an electrical course   :C   

But what if there was an apprenticeship  in the offing  ?  surely he'd be better  getting stuck into a "proper" job at 16  than Part Peeing about  with "other "courses ?     

And question (2)     I mean no offence whatsoever when I say this  but .......  what about the lesser educationally motivated kids  ,  the ones suited to being a builder's labourer say  ?  What do they do  at these 6th form colleges  for another  2 years    .    As I said ,  I 'm not belittling anyone ,  we all  function at  different levels  ....when I left school the classes were numbered  as 4/1 ----4/2----4/3----4/4----4/R  .      The 4  meant the 4th year ,  then 1, 2, 3 ,4 and R was remedial   ,  basically non or poor readers etc  .    Would another 2 years have  done these guys anygood ?  

I know that some went into well paid but dead end jobs  ,  a couple went into  armed Post Office robberies , last one I heard about  , the getaway car had a slipping clutch which ended that career choice ,  one was  stabbed to death in the street   , a couple   helped start the heavy metal  music scene .    

As for myself ,  I'd done an apprentice  interview  while still at school   ,  got the job ,  legally left halfway through the final term  as 15 was the leaving age , so  15 in the November left at Christmas  instead of August .      

I was under the impression that an apprenticeship classed as staying in education and was an option for 16 yr olds. It certtainly was for my next door neighbours lad. He's started an apprenticeship at a construction firm rather than 6th form / college, etc

He's started an apprenticeship at a construction firm rather than 6th form / college, etc
That sounds like the way to go ....perhaps my neighbour got it wrong .?        Far better ..if theres a job offering ...to get in there  instead  of doing useless qualifications at 6th form. 

Eeee !  In my day kids were oop chimneys  and in 't mill  at 10 yr old !!!!

Latest posts