Thermostat connections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonpig

Reaction score
Evening all:), tomorrow i have got to do that thermostat job we talked about a few days ago. In the past i have only ever fitted drayton and the one i am fitting tomorrow is a siemens so i am a little unsure about the connections.

The stat i am talking about is this little cheeky chappy

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89164/Plumbing/Central-Heating-Controls/Siemens-RDH10RF-SET-GB-Room-Thermostat

The new stat has two sets of terminlas, one set is a live and neutral, and the other set is LX L1 L2. The LX L1 L2 terminals are in a switch configuration with LX being the common.

From the instructions the legend for the terminals is as follows;

LX = Common

L1 = Live feed to item being controlled

L2 = Changeover contact

L = live

N = Neutral

The cables connected to the current stat are a twin and earth 1.5mm and a single core 1.5mm. The twin and earth are the phase and neutral and the single (green insulation) is the call for heat (i assume).

So for the new stat does the 1.5mm twin and earth go to the L and N terminals, and the 1.5mm single go to the L1 terminal, and put a link between the LX terminal and the L terminal. (and connect the CPC to a loose terminal block).

Hope all that makes sense to youPray;) :)

Yes, it makes sense - however:

You need to be certain of the conductors, before connecting them.

It`s also worth remembering that, if the boiler has been changed (maybe not, in this case, but remember anyway), that many new boilers use low voltage for external controls. Feed 230 in there, and bits of control board will go "boobies up" rather quickly.

HTH

KME

Evening all:), tomorrow i have got to do that thermostat job we talked about a few days ago. In the past i have only ever fitted drayton and the one i am fitting tomorrow is a siemens so i am a little unsure about the connections.The stat i am talking about is this little cheeky chappy

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89164/Plumbing/Central-Heating-Controls/Siemens-RDH10RF-SET-GB-Room-Thermostat

The new stat has two sets of terminlas, one set is a live and neutral, and the other set is LX L1 L2. The LX L1 L2 terminals are in a switch configuration with LX being the common.

From the instructions the legend for the terminals is as follows;

LX = Common

L1 = Live feed to item being controlled

L2 = Changeover contact

L = live

N = Neutral

The cables connected to the current stat are a twin and earth 1.5mm and a single core 1.5mm. The twin and earth are the phase and neutral and the single (green insulation) is the call for heat (i assume).

So for the new stat does the 1.5mm twin and earth go to the L and N terminals, and the 1.5mm single go to the L1 terminal, and put a link between the LX terminal and the L terminal. (and connect the CPC to a loose terminal block).

Hope all that makes sense to youPray ;) :)
Well I hope all that makes sense to you....

Cuz you is the one wot is doin the biz!!! :eek: :) :) :D :D:DGuiness Drink

Yes, it makes sense - however:You need to be certain of the conductors, before connecting them.

It`s also worth remembering that, if the boiler has been changed (maybe not, in this case, but remember anyway), that many new boilers use low voltage for external controls. Feed 230 in there, and bits of control board will go "boobies up" rather quickly.

HTH

KME
are we aloud to say

"boobies up"??? ?:|

isn't that a bit rude? ?:|

but.....

spose it is after the watershed!? ?:| ;) ; \ ]:)

boobies up

boobies up

boobies up!!! :eek: :O:O

ohhhhhh I do feel daring!! ]:)

Honest admin KME told me to do it! :(

Sorry! :(

I'll go back in the naughty corner. :_| :_|

then off to confession...

Oh moderator forgive me, I have SINNEDPrayPray

Yes, it makes sense - however:You need to be certain of the conductors, before connecting them.

HTH

KME
Very helpful as always KME, its not a new boiler (and the new stats operating range is 24v - 230v, but thanks for the tip i will deffinately remeber it for future refference.

With regards to indetifying the conductors, the 1.5mm twin and earth is definately the phase and neutral as determined by a continuity and voltage tests. I havent tested the single 1.5mm but i think it has got to be call for heat.

Well I hope all that makes sense to you....

Cuz you is the one wot is doin the biz!!!
Well it made sense at the time when iwas typeing it, but now i am not to sure:(Blushing;) :) .

I like big boobiesBlushing:p:x:x:^O:^O
now now lets not lower the tone! X(

spose you'll say something like "Spec Loc started it honest admin"

and I shall then say well actually

it was..

K bloomin M bloomin E....

hes always causing trouble! ]:) :) :^O :^OGuiness Drink

bet that post vanishes when the mods get up...........
I think you might be right there apache, but specs started it and led me astrayBlushing:_| :D :D

I do believe it was Tom yorke who said you do it to yourself;) :D :D

I pormise that i repent admin, and i hope and prayPray that redemtion is in the pipeline;) :) :).

now now lets not lower the tone! X( spose you'll say something like "Spec Loc started it honest admin"

and I shall then say well actually

it was..

K bloomin M bloomin E....

hes always causing trouble! ]:) :) :^O :^OGuiness Drink
I do believe that is the pushy shovey thing you speak of

spose you'll say something like "Spec Loc started it honest admin"
You know me to well specs;) ; \ ; \ :^O :^O

I like big boobiesBlushing:p:x:x:^O:^O
On behalf of Moonpig, Apache, KME and myself (Mr Speciallocation AKA trailer boy)

we would all apologise unreservedly for an offence caused by the use of the word B__bies-up.. :(

especially to any Admin2's, MRS KME's, Avinalarfs or similar persons...Blushing

Its not big or clever and what we all meant is that....

putting 230v onto a low voltage thermostat connection makes it go..

"Fizz Bang Pop" NOT B_____s up!

this correction is supplied unreservedly, but without any acceptance of liability of responsibly for any loss due to personal emotional upset!

:x :x:|

On behalf of Moonpig, Apache, KME and myself (Mr Speciallocation AKA trailer boy)we would all apologise unreservedly for an offence caused by the use of the word B__bies-up.. :(

especially to any Admin2's, MRS KME's, Avinalarfs or similar persons...Blushing

Its not big or clever and what we all meat is that....

putting 230v onto a low voltage thermostat connection makes it go..

"Fizz Bang Pop" NOT B_____s up!

this correction is supplied unreservedly, but without any acceptance of liability of responsibly for any loss due to personal emotional upset!

:x :x:|
Applaud Smiley:D:D:x:x Amen brother i will drink to thatGuiness Drink

As usual i thoroughly agree with you specs, although i do believe B__bies is the politically correct term to use;) :D .

shan't argue! :) :x :x
Well wheres the fun in that specs;) :^O :^O:x:x

After all it probally wont be long before they wont let me play with you and i am banished to the dark side;) :^O :^O:^O:x:x.

Well wheres the fun in that specs;) :^O :^O:x:xAfter all it probally wont be long before they wont let me play with you and i am banished to the dark side ;) :^O :^O:^O:x:x.
ah..

May the "FIX" be with you young "MOON"walker.

Or should that be..

May the "SCREW" be with you young "PIG"walker.

does beg the question?

which is badder?

scre*fix or boo*ies ???? ]:)

Guiness Drink

Guiness Drink

Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Guiness Drink

Guiness Drink

Guiness Drink

I think its happening again!!! :_| :_| :_|

ADMINS STOPPED ME MEDICATION:_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :eek:

we need a wise old sage to tell us the answers?? ?:|

No mate, he hasn`t.

You`ve simply managed to drink my supply completely; and there ain`t any left:( X(

I`m beginning to wonder if there`s TWO of you - how ANYONE can function on the amount of sleep you (don`t) get, is beyond me........

p.s. a certain forum, which MRS. KME frequents (no, NOT the "dark side.....), usually refers to it as "bums up". If you prefer, we`ll go for that one?

p.p.s. I thought it better then the vernacular version; esp. as far as the "lesser lower endowed" members are concerned??