Thermostat on a Electric panel heater Ring (Consort)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_1

Reaction score
Its Been nearly 25 years since I touched a Heating system boiler or thermostat,

Had a question regarding putting existing heaters on an a thermostat style switch,
Its a ring powering a number of electric panel heaters (consort style) throughout an office, they are currently fed through a 7 day on/off timer
is there a way to have these on a thermostat to switch off at the set temp and kick back in when it falls below etc.

I'm racking my brain here as I cant see a way to cut power using a thermostat, would i need some kind of switching gear on the Timer side to switch power on/off is it even possible, times have moved on a bit, so I wasn't sure if there was a way of doing this without being too complicated.

Cheers

I presume that the individual heaters have no thermostats, seems odd it they don’t?
It could be achieved if it were a radial not so easily done with a ring circuit?

I presume that the individual heaters have no thermostats, seems odd it they don’t?
It could be achieved if it were a radial not so easily done with a ring circuit?
They all are a set on/off heater with 3 heat settings, they are on constant and don't seem to have a thermostat, even if they did have individual ones, its more the Ambient Temp of the offices the client wants to have set.

Ordinary room thermostat operating a contactor placed after the timer?
Its been a while since I worked with Standard Thermostats, Ive worked with nest etc smart home thermostats which wouldn't handle the power without a a solid state relay, would it work switching 240v

Could you not install One of these adjacent each heater, It can switch 16A
Or, if you want just one thermostat have a contactor and same thermostat installed AFTER the time switch. You can get a contactor and a suitable enclosure Here
Other suppliers of contactors etc are available.

Without knowing the size and layout of the office it's hard to say if a central thermostat or zoned ones would work.
Further, if its the sort of open plan office that I used to work in you may need two thermostats; One discreetly located out of sight controlling the system and another prominent, un-connected and doing nothing, for the staff to argue over and tamper with.