Thermostat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bit confused on this one as I was going to fit a heating thermostat but after checking on internet last night some website advised not to fit T.stat near rad fitted with trv. However all of the rads have TRV's fitted apart from bathroom. Gas central heating on Y plan, living room with open plan staircase and one rad in living room, and 2 others 1 at bottom of stairs with the other on the landing. Do you think thermostat will be waste of time and would it be best to keep TRV on maximum setting for correct operation of T.stat?

I always think it is a good idea to fit roomstat as it makes for easy testing system if you have faults also you can leave it on full and trv will regulate heat also saves fiddling with programmer in summer.

Batty

Then fit the thermostat in a neutral area, away from the direct heat of a rad. Set it to the temp. you want, and adjust the trv`s so that each room is at, or near to, the desired temp. There is no sense whatsoever in installing a stat above or beside a rad. :(

Cheers Batty,wasnt thinking so much as ease of use but more about economy and saving money on fuel bills.
If you have trv's and as long as they work you do not need a thermostat then as the trv's will control room temp.

Batty

When I fitted TRV's to rads in my house I left the one of in the hall as roomstat was located in the hall, this worked well as the hall rad was the last one on the circuit so when the stat called for heat it was the last one to heat up as well as being the coldest part of house downstairs.