Thoughts on this Wise garden lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS79

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a job been asked to do. Basically wants garden lights remote controlled. He's bought Wise box for this. At moment he has lights on right which he has been plugging into extension cable fed from socket imagine this have to have in built transformer on plug for these to bring them down to 12v. He also has bought some lights to go on left which are 12v with plug transformer. For these both to be controlled off same circuit and so Wise controlled and for neatest option my thoughts are to cut both plugs off both set of lights take their cables into an ip65 box which can mount to fence on both sides. Then within these boxes have a transformer this one seems to fit the purpose https://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-low-voltage-electronic-transformer-20-60va/48058#product_additional_details_container ? Then take 1.5mm swa from these round back of out house have another ip65 joint box can join both these cables in then make jump from here in neatest possible way probably at high level into back of out house. Take this cable to wise box which will be mounted on front of out house so will have to punch through for this for cables. Then for my supply nick a permanent live from either light or switch wherever it is. Also changing mcb for rcbo. Bit of a balls ache and bit of chasing to day wit

In out house but for neatnest sack so cables not running everywhere seems about the best I can do.

I'm sorry, but I doubt if you are an electrician or even have the necessary understanding of what you propose. 

The answers to your posed questions are NO, NO, and NO!

There is a high possibility that the lights you have are LED and would not operate from that Screwfix sourced transformer which is designed for halogen lamps.

Lamps bought with their own transformer on the lead/plug should NOT be separated from their transformer. That transformer should be housed in an IP65 box with a 230volt socket in it, but please seek professional help in doing this or it's all likely to end badly.

I'm sorry, but I doubt if you are an electrician or even have the necessary understanding of what you propose. 

The answers to your posed questions are NO, NO, and NO!

There is a high possibility that the lights you have are LED and would not operate from that Screwfix sourced transformer which is designed for halogen lamps.

Lamps bought with their own transformer on the lead/plug should NOT be separated from their transformer. That transformer should be housed in an IP65 box with a 230volt socket in it, but please seek professional help in doing this or it's all likely to end badly.
Hence why I am asking question Geoff. My understanding of LED transformers isn't great and I appreciate you correcting me on this. My reason for posting is to not undertake any work I don't understand correctly so not install something that isn't safe thanks again for your advice. 

Latest posts