Three phase motor on single phase

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treborsurf

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve just picked up an old bandsaw and need some help with the motor wiring. It has a three phase motor at present with A1 & 2, B1 & 2 and C1 & 2. How do the letters relate to what I’m used to which is U, V and W. E.G. does A equate to U

JnX1VoK.jpg.33b5b3016e85cfea2037133584d62559.jpg

fOWryL3.jpg.8db14415f42b9d6bd5829ed0e236eb11.jpg

6gpcAmI.jpg.0f20a0fb0888b7e6234bded0f46a6da4.jpg

TE8DE6n.jpg.abe5e7fbff6298bc8e14a7291f0657e8.jpg

I have no three phase in my home shop so want to wire it as in the image. If it was being wired to three phase it would be fine as there are lots of diagrams for wiring the abc combination in three phase but all the methods of three to single use the uvw combo. I know I could use a vfd or just replace the motor but this would be great for the time being. 

Hope you can help

Cheers

where did you get the diagram? It won't work. Its a 3 phase motor, best options are either get a single phase motor or get a VSD (variable speed drive) which will 'convert' the single phase supply to a kind of synthetic 3 phase by using inverters. The variable speed function probably useful in a bandsaw in any case.

Thanks for that.  Even if I use a vfd I would still like to know how the abc denomination correspond to the usual uvw. 
cheers 

For a bandsaw I would probably look at getting a single phase motor, this would be around the same cost as a VFD and less messing around, you don't need reversing or fine speed control on that piece of equipment.

You could hen sell on the three phase motor to make some money back.

That would be the simple choice. Unfortunately the motor has a custom pulley set on it from 1935 that will not come off so I’m stuck with it. 

the motor would not have been made the pulley attached ,you can buy new pulleys any size you want and fit a taperlock bush to hole it to the new shaft.

Believe me I tried many methods. If for a moment you accept that I’d like to stick with what I have can anyone with knowledge of three phase advise as to how the abc labelling corresponds with uvw. 

Thank you

Thanks Kerching, you found on the web what seemed to be alluding me. Looks like abc i s straight swap for uvw. 

cheers All

Latest posts