Three quotes but need help please.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris020

Reaction score
Had three quotes, help appreciated, which is best kit suppler, suggestions as to any better kit. Though on prices please?

Worth noting, Q1 and 2 are only suggesting 12 panel. Quote 1 smaller battery.

Q1
Trina Vertex S 425W Black Framed Mono (white backsheet) solar PV power 5100 rated AC Output 5000 X12
panel
SolaX Triple 5.8kWh LFP Battery (Master Console)
SolaX X1 G4 5.0D hybrid inverter
V2.1 Eddi Immersion Controller

Price 13,000ish

Q2
JA Solar 410M X12
GivEnergy 9.5kWh LiFe 4
GivEnergy 5.0T Hybrid inverter 2.5kW Back-up power available

Price 14,000 ish

Q3
16 x 405 watt monocrystalline panels (6.48kWp)
9.5 kw GivEnergy Batteries
5 kW GivEnergy Inverter
iboost
Price 14,000 ish

What do your installers think ?
Apologies I should have provided more information in my OP.
Based on the size of house and the available roof space, they all suggested that their products were correct for us. We are three home workers and our annual usage with Shell is 6727kWh. I suggested to them that some way of heating water might be a plan as we are on LPG. The key for me is the best kit for the price and quickest RoI.

@chris020 Welcome to the forum.

The prices are very similar (less storage for Quote 1 as you pointed out) and in the ball park of what I would expect for the equipment listed.
Have you read the technical specs of the products.
Which panels have the highest efficiency?
Do you understand the difference between Low Voltage and High Voltage Battery.

Another point very important is what do these installers "look like". They will install the system and after, when you need them because there is a problem, or you want more batteries etc... will there still be there?
Don't neglect the customer service.
Are they members of Hies or similar for instance?

Q3 gets my vote, for the extra £1k you are getting double the battery, plus larger array and the immersion control. But as said above, do a little research on the company.

Q3 gets my vote, for the extra £1k you are getting double the battery, plus larger array and the immersion control. But as said above, do a little research on the company.
I recognize Binky's approach. The bigger the better :)

My yearly usage is very sim at around 6500kwh and I chose a 3.6kw system without batterys. I wasn't bothered about covering all the usage just wanted to take the load off.
After about 2 months I wanted more.
The saving on leccy is a bug.
I wish I had maxed out on the panels which would have maxed out at 4.5kw
I then purchased battery's to get 9.6kwh storage and the main saving was to swap to octopus go energy a use the 1230am -430am cheap rate to max charge the batterys.
This December I still use about 20kwh per day though 15kwh are at the cheap 12p and approx 2khw are from the panels....

As the yanks say. Go big or go home which would point to option 3.

I suggest you have a look at companies house and see if there's any longevity in the companies involved.

What do the quotes tell you about your percentage consumption coming from solar and battery? And what do they tell you about generation?

I would hope your quotes provide the % consumption from solar, battery and grid p.a. and give you an idea of how that is split across the year.

I would expect higher % consumption, i.e. less from grid, with the bigger battery, which should speed up your ROI, especially with 6700kWh p.a. usage.

You could take a look at PVGIS and/or easy-pv to get a better understanding of the generation, consumption numbers to help you decide.

16panels? Is this all facing in one direction ?

wrt Quote3
the two 405W panels I could find quickly don't match up to the Giv inverter for some reason in easy-pv suggesting careful choice of PV panels is needed, the Giv's max input PV current is 11A and some 400W ish panels exceed that, hopefully your installer has taken that into account.

16x405W is 6480W is only just inside the Giv's max DC input spec of 6500W. The nominal AC output spec is 5000W. Input PV looks a bit high for the inverter?

wrt Quote3
the two 405W panels I could find quickly don't match up to the Giv inverter for some reason in easy-pv suggesting careful choice of PV panels is needed, the Giv's max input PV current is 11A and some 400W ish panels exceed that, hopefully your installer has taken that into account.

16x405W is 6480W is only just inside the Giv's max DC input spec of 6500W. The nominal AC output spec is 5000W. Input PV looks a bit high for the inverter?

It will be clipping and that is not really an issue because the PV will only their max power only a few hours per years.. What this also means it that the power curve will be wider and despite the clipping, they will still generate more kWh than if the panels were providing 5kWp.
Of course you do not want too much clipping. One key element is missing or I missed it :( What is the orientation of the panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.