TIG Welder in domestic premises

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu1

Reaction score
Hi guy

I'm new to the forum and have a simple job that is causing me to scratch my head a bit! (By the way this isn't a post from a DIYer asking you guys to do the job for me, I'm Part P registered to test, certify and notify my work under Part P!)

I have been asked to change a consumer unit from a rewireable Wylex to a 'modern' one by an old aquaintence. I'm due to go there tomorrow to have a look at it but over the phone he has given me the following info. Currently he has a cooker, up ring, down ring, up lights, down lights and garage. The garage part is the bit that's got me struggling. It is fed by a 15A at the mo running a 4 core 2.5mm plastic covered pyro under the floor, then under the drive in plastic conduit for 3m and into the garage, total run around 20m. It currently feeds a 63A 30mA RCD, then a 63A B breaker. This then feeds another old rewireable box with sockets, lights and a couple of radials for some of his juicier tools. What he wants to do is fit a TIG welder in there. He has asked the manufacturer the requirements and they have advised a D32 breaker for the welder due to the start up current. The type of welding he said he will do is not going to be flat out and at maximum juice, but you never know! The supply is TNS and the water and gas are easy access to the fuse box if the bonding needs upgrading.

In the BGB it lists a 2 core 4mm at 40A clipped direct in table 4G1A. Now I'm not used to wiring machines up and their start up characteristics. My thoughts initially were to fit a dual RCD board and have the garage on it's own non RCD protected MCB, with the pyro doubled up to make two 5mm cores, but would the sheath be suitably sized now to serve as the cpc? Ok, so in the garage if I fit a D32 in with the RCD and existing breaker (and perhaps downsize that!), but feed the garage with a B40, I guess the B40 will trip on start up. He's reluctant to up the cable size with SWA as it runs under the tarmac drive. I'm feeling it's a bit too close for comfort at the mo. All of this is relying on the Zs being low enough, which would need to be 0.29 on the D32 welder circuit. Being pyro (and old at that) I would imagine the IR to be getting low too.

So after all that rambling on I'm unsure what breaker to fit at the house end to feed the garage. If needs be he'll have to up the cable and that's final, but what MCB and type would you fit that won't trip before the D32 ?? I'm finding this one a struggle to be honest!

Your advice would be very much welcome!!!

Thanks Stu

I wouldnt worry about the IR on the pyro, it'll be right.

A breaker that will discriminate with a D32, how about a D40 ?

But i think you will seriously struggle with Zs

Hi all,

I agree 100% with Andy. I know in theory the welder should perhaps be on a "D" curve breaker, but as Andy says, i have never had any problems with "C" curve ones, and this will make things a lot easier for you..

john..

Thanks for the replies!

In terms of the Zs where would you stand if the Ze alone is higher than the Zs, given a TNS can be up to 0.8? Not something that usually happens in domestic installs, but I guess this crops up in industrial installs all the time?

Well I will head over tomorrow and have a look and get some tests done on the existing install and go from there. I will pop to the wholesalers in the morning and get a few different breakers to hand, check the Zs and go from there. If it will hold on a C curve ion of going down the TT route too ;)

Thanks very much for the input - this is exactly why this forum is so successful I guess! I'll let you know how I get on.

well if Ze is higher than your max Zs, then you may have problems

one solution may be to use BS88's instead

or you could use an RCD to help with Zs, however, you would need to ensure L-N loop is still low enough. possibility on TNS, but not TNCS

Evening guys

Just thought I'd let you know how I got on today...turns out it was a 4C1.5 not 2.5 pyro. He actually has the welder now (assumed he would be getting it later on) and from what I can decipher from the rather large label on the back it draws 25a when running, plus the large start up draw, and he will be using it with a 3a extractor, and more than likely expects to have an electric heater during the winter, and two 8' lamps!

Time to replace the pyro with something a bit bigger, much to his disgruntlement! At the end of the day it's my name on the cert and if I'm not comfortable doing something I won't do it! Even the supply cable is 4mm flex, which I'll fit with a commando plug and rotary isolator. I'll run it via an RCD in the garage for good measure too. Ze at the house board is 0.20, and Ze for the current garage board is 0.62.

Many thanks again for your advice guys!

PS Steptoe you were right - IR was 98Mohm!

As Andy says I would go with cartridge fuses they are easily available from the likes of Hager that way you won't have Zs problems hopefully. Maybe have a 60 amp switchfuse in house that way he can have his heater as well. You know what its like you put a supply in then they want more. What size is the DNO fuse?

and from what I can decipher from the rather large label on the back it draws 25a when running, plus the large start up draw, and he will be using it with a 3a extractor, and more than likely expects to have an electric heater during the winter, and two 8' lamps!
must be a fairly big TIG set then. ill have a look at mine later and see what it says the power rating is

what size flex did it come with? i got a plasma / welder multifunction a few weeks ago, came with 2.5 flex & 16a plug, works fine on C20, but says it uses 25a on full power

you may also have extra load for water cooling, although its usually very low power, just a pump / fan