Timer switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolstej

Reaction score
We have a water heater with an on/off switch but it's not wired into the economy 7 circuit. Is it possible to replace the switch with a simple timer so that we can set it to come on and off during the night? Are there any important aspects I should be aware of? Many thanks

Hi mate

welcome to the forum

If i understand you correctly the on/off switched feeding the heater will be on its own circuit and is not meant to be on the economy 7 it is just an overide boost when required.

I presume you have an economy 7 timer anyway either near your water heater or downstairs ???? this should be set to come on during the night to heat the tank via the cheap rate.

If this doesnt help you much can you post some more info.....

. Is it possible to replace the switch with a simple timer so that we can set it to come on and off during the night?
You still need to be connected to the economy 7 board and hence meter to benefit from cheap electric. Suggest you get a local spark to have a look and advise accordingly. What you really need is a tank with twin immersion heaters - 1 on normal electric, 1 on economy 7, I suppose it may be possible to supply 1 immersion from both supplies, but not easily.

Where i used to live a few years ago i had economy 7 and every circuit was on it when it switced over at night. If yours is the same you will just need a suitable immersion timer to connect in the circuit . if you only have one consumer unit yours will be the same.