tips for getting a DNO cutout changed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
Any tips or phrases that work for getting a DNO cutout (fuse holder) changed for free? I work in the Western Power region so have no idea how other DNOs tend to work. Sometimes i call Western Power directly, sometimes i get the customer to. Is it just me or does the service, and hence any costs, you receive depend who you get when you call, and who you get turning up in a van?

I keep coming across cutouts that need replacing. Obviously i'm not the only one, so thought i'd ask how you lot go about getting them changed? (Never mind that i'm turning up after other 'sparks' have previously done work and decided not to do anything about the cutout!)

I find a replacement is needed either when there's damage, it's ancient, there's no way of sealing them, it's wired weirdly (eg as a henley block after the meter as well as before!), there's no PME, or the current capacity isn't suitable.

So,

Easy fix - dangerous / broken / wired wrongly - Western Power called and usually attend within an hour to swap for no cost.

Managable fix - the cutout is metal (ancient). Sometimes this gets charged for, sometimes not (!!!)

Usually costs £200 fix - want a PME / want a 40 or 60A fuse upgraded to an 80A one, so a cutout change is needed, charged for and takes weeks to get booked in.

Then we get on to earthing....

Sometimes they will provide an earth, mostly not without payment/authorisation from head office :(

It's a minefield and i'd like help on negotiating it please!

I've attached some examples i've found. The first has exposed live copper as shown by my tester. The second is what awaited me in a scout hut. The third is it's cover when shut. The last is a plastic one that was held together by labels!

IMG_20210329_130450.jpg

IMG_20191125_114123.jpg

IMG_20191125_114145.jpg

IMG_20200302_121120.jpg

Well,the second and third pics are ISCOs. Around here the DNO will NOT open these cutouts without first opening and disconnecting the service externally.   I would advise everyone NOT to open them.  I have been too close to one when it went whoooompfhhhhh BOOM 💥 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been too close to one when it went whoooompfhhhhh BOOM 💥 

Are you sure that is the correct spelling??

I may be wrong..

But I thought our late great fount of knowledge.... 

"Sir Dekington of the Midlands"  once described your example as more like........

Whoomph!..  Fizzz!......  Sparkle...  Bang...  Boom.....  Splutter...  Whooa. WTGrape..     

Get clean Underwear & Trousers.....

I wish I'd just taken the hound for a walk instead!!!!!

BUT..

I could be be wrong???

I thought Badger kept a record of these things in his Christmas light control shed...

And Binky  kept a back-up gaffa-taped to the underside of every solar installation with an odd-numbered property address?

Unless Canoe'y and Side'y changed the forum protocol due to Covid..

wothout telling us????

:innocent

:coat

:innocent

:popcorn

;)  

phone DNO and tell them you have concerns about it and they will send someone. if it needs changed, they will replace it. if it doesnt need changed they wont.

if youre wanting it changed to ty and get earthing changed or just want a shiney new one when the existing is safe (or can be easily fixed, like the first photo), then expect to pay. after all, why should everyone else pay for your upgrades

In the ideal world there would be a simple process to get these old service heads replaced, but because there could be millions, it’s not going to happen ...... yet they want to throw millions at forcing smart meters on us all