TNS or TNC-S

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetrader

Reaction score
View attachment 935

Hi Can anyone tell me if this is TNS or TNC-S

the earth seems to go in just right of the "spare" nuetral entry/exit hole,

If it was TNC-S would it go inthe "spare"nuetral entry/exit hole.

Sorry about discription. :)

Thanks Freetrader

P1010154.jpg

Think this one has been discussed previously ,and the conlusion was that the only way to be sure is to contact the DNO and enquire ,I do agree with others though it certainly appears to be tncs but................

Its TNCS or PME.
Terminology is important here.

TNCS refers to a System of supply which includes the Source AND the installation

P.M.E refers to the Earthing arrangement within the Installation,at the intake position.

...We are all in agreement that it looks like a Tncs System, but we dont have the advantage of being able to actually see the link so Enquiry is the definative answer, but comparison of the PSCC and the PEFC readings at the Main Isolator will give a pretty good indication.

Terminology is important here.TNCS refers to a System of supply which includes the Source AND the installation

P.M.E refers to the Earthing arrangement within the Installation,at the intake position.
While I agree the distinction is important, I would disagree with that. PME describes the supply network not the installation. So a supply network could be PME but still have a TN-S or TT installation.

While I agree the distinction is important, I would disagree with that. PME describes the supply network not the installation. So a supply network could be PME but still have a TN-S or TT installation.
Defenitions Part 2 of the BRB would appear to confirm my description

Defenitions Part 2 of the BRB would appear to confirm my description
Maybe you need to re-read that as it says nothing about it being an installation but that the Earth inside an Installation is connected to the Supply Neutral Conductor.

Ian, I think it is you who in fact have misread MY post.

I stated : P.M.E refers to the Earthing arrangement within the Installation,at the intake position. ----....exactly as described in Defenitions for PME.

Im afraid knowhere did I describe PME as being an installation

And you are still wrong. TN-C-S would refer to the Earthing Arrangement within the Installation NOT PME. PME describes the Distribution Networks PEN arrangments, nothing more.

Hi Ian , If I am wrong then it implies that Defenitions in the BRB are wrong,,,is that what you are saying ? I have stated virtually word for word what is printed in PART 2.

In Simple language TNCS is a description of the way the DNO distribute the Supply with reference to both the Neutral and The Earthing conductor. It describes that the Earth AND the Neutral are Primarily connected at the Supply Transformer{T] and that they are combined in a single conductor in the distribution System {PEN}, then at the point of use i.e the Installation the Neutral and Earth are Seperately supplied [split}.At this point..this is still part of the System.

THe Term PME is ,as you know, the Term used to describe the way the neutral conductor is used to connect The Earthing Conductor of the Installation to Earth.

I think the correct way to describe what the OP appears to have is a TNCS System [Distribution & Installation} AND PME Earthing arrangement within this System.. .the position whereby it can be termed PME being at the Installation intake position [label usually installed ] the point of my earlier post.I know what you are getting at cos the distribution Neutral cable is repeatedly staked down to Earth

at various points but the term PME is only applicable to the consumers intake cos its refering to the consumers Earthing Conductor this as we know does not extend beyond the Installation..see again BRB Defenition for PME.. Thanks !

Does the lable not say "PME Conditions Apply" rather then "this property has a PME Earthing presentation" advising anyone that the source of the TN-C-S Earth (if used) is via a PME PEN?