Todays Discovery

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
So, today I saw a cracker working on a house and the boiler was piped wrong, the cold feed in was connected to the hot out and vice versa, then there was a leak on the gas pipe, I found it on the gas fire, the drop was well over the prescribed limit, yet the property had a gas safety cert issued about 6 months ago and had been untouched ever since, the most alarming bit was there was a box for gas tightness test and it was ticked as a pass.Incidentally the gas ticket was issued I believe by the same guy that installed the combi boiler. It would appear that the phenomenon of drive-by inspection and test is not reserved for the electrical industry. 

So I take it with the pipework wrong the boiler was not working (at least the hot water bit not working)

And the customer / owner never bothered to get it fixed?

So I take it with the pipework wrong the boiler was not working (at least the hot water bit not working)

And the customer / owner never bothered to get it fixed?
That was the odd bit, it was actually producing hot water, not at a great rate but it was warm, however when I looked at the hot water temp setting it was at 70, now it's working properly, I've been able to turn it down to 40. It puzzled me because I always thought that a combi wouldn't work with the hot and cold reversed, but it did. The house reminds me of that film, 'the money pit', god knows who did the survey because we've now found that the injected damp course is non existant, they've just drilled holes about 3/4 inch deep into the bricks and put plastic caps in, oh, and we also found a rainwater gully that was broken, so we've ended up digging part of the drive up to replace it, I dread to think what we'll find next.

In most combi's the HW flows via a plate heat exchanger,  I can imagine the PHE not working so well if the water is running backwards, but I would have thought the flow switch would never turn on and the boiler would never fire, that's why I thought the HW would not work.  I guess if the flow switch did work then the HW would work but not properly.

For when you get your manboobs! 

Mrs Spec-Loc has told me previously that my Man-Boobs are growing!!!!!!!!!  :eek:    :pmsl1:

Too much Guinness Guinness   Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness

They say?

:p

I believe all fetus,s start off as female  as the default perfect human ,    hence the nipples   , then the male chromosome  changes the blueprint from  XX    to XY   :innocent

Far.. Far... Far too technical for 1:00am in the morning after a few...  Guinness

WTGrape...  Chromosomes changing the Blue-Prints?

Isn't that what Architects and customers do half way through the Job?

:shakehead headbang

Why are you interfering with gas pipework is a better question 
Because I was trained on it years ago, plus it's going to be signed off by a gas fitter at the end of the job, and obviously I'm doing a better job than the last guy, allegedly gas safe registered, who was quite happy to leave a system not only incorrectly piped, but also with a fair sized gas leak.

Yeah but ...no but ...  if men DIDN'T have nipples  they would't NEED them pierced  .   It s just another  vive la difference!   like why don't women  stop walking  and  lift one leg to phart  , then continue with a proud expression  on their face . ? 

Yeah but ...no but ...  if men DIDN'T have nipples  they would't NEED them pierced  .   It s just another  vive la difference!   like why don't women  stop walking  and  lift one leg to phart  , then continue with a proud expression  on their face . ? 
Or, as I do when my guts are bad and my farts stink worse than a badly blocked drain, wander around the supermarket until I find an old person in an aisle along with several other shoppers. Drop a really rank stinking fart then disappear quickly before everyone smells it, they usually end up looking at the old person and blaming them. Honestly it gets so bad at times I've even had my dog give me a disgusted look and hurriedly leave the room. lol

Now you mention it .. I think we experience  them  down here ...seems to be coming from the North West .    ( Visualize non smiley face holding nose ) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I was trained on it years ago, plus it's going to be signed off by a gas fitter at the end of the job, and obviously I'm doing a better job than the last guy, allegedly gas safe registered, who was quite happy to leave a system not only incorrectly piped, but also with a fair sized gas leak.
Do you even listen to yourself. Imagine if someone came on here and said oh I used to do abit if sparking and I'm getting a spark to sign it off anyway. You would think there a p******. The gas fitter letting you play around is a p******, the bloke who left a leak is a p****** and you're a p****** for being too blind to see why your actions are wrong.

Confidence!

plus they probably have something in there that will cover them should they shart!

Do you even listen to yourself. Imagine if someone came on here and said oh I used to do abit if sparking and I'm getting a spark to sign it off anyway. You would think there a p******. The gas fitter letting you play around is a p******, the bloke who left a leak is a p****** and you're a p****** for being too blind to see why your actions are wrong.
I did more than a bit of plumbing actually, I started off going on foreigners with my old chap at about 13, he was a qualified plumber, by the time I left school I could install a heating system on my own, so I think I have a little more experience than a lot of people. At the end of the day I would be quite confident to stand up in court and prove that I'm competent at doing what I do, if I wasn't I wouldn't do it.