Toolbox

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanf

Reaction score
Hi, served my apprenticeship many years ago and have now just got my 16th, doing 17th update this month and applied to renew my SJIB card.

My tool kit has seen better days, so recommendations for best tool kit/tool box or where to buy ?

Thanks

Allanf

Watcha Allan

I assume that you mean tool box rather than tools.

I have had loads of various toolboxes over the years and my 'ideal' one would measure about 4 feet by 4 feet and 1 inch deep with a handle - that way my tools cannot be hidden by tools on top of tools which drives me round the bend.

As that is not very practical I simply use one of them there bags you get from the likes of B&Q with pockets along the sides. I cannot stand those metal box things which slide open, as used by DIY'ers.

If the question is about tools then there is only one tool makers and that is Bahco, all the rest are junk.

Oh and to store you Bacho tools what better than -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soft-Tool-Bag-Claw-Hammer/dp/B000V5IHMM/ref=pd_bbs_9?ie=UTF8&s=diytools&qid=1207674366&sr=8-9

WW2

Thanks for the info, I'lll look at Bahco, are they available in shops or just online ? as i'd like to see them first hand so to speak.

Cheers

allanf

Good tool wholesalers will stock Bahco.

It is not cheap stuff, the best rarely is, so smaller guys cannot hold stock of the tools in any large volume.

But I will say that Bacho side-cutters are FANTASTIC and I have used their other tools and they are well made. The Swedes have taken over from where we Brits left off/dropped off with our good old Sheffield Steel.

I`ve gone to using the aluminium cases for most of the tools & paperwork. Looks very professional - gives a good image (apart from the one I took on a site, and its covered in coffee marks, and compo. :_| :_|

They`re available in so many different sizes, so I have screwdrivers in one, general tools, rolls of tape etc. in another, regs,osg and blank certs/notebook in another.

B)

I`ve gone to using the aluminium cases for most of the tools & paperwork. Looks very professional - gives a good image (apart from the one I took on a site, and its covered in coffee marks, and compo. :_| :_|They`re available in so many different sizes, so I have screwdrivers in one, general tools, rolls of tape etc. in another, regs,osg and blank certs/notebook in another.

B)
I also got an aluminim sided one for my main tools, (approx 24"x9"x8"), big enough to fit most of my everyday tools & a decent size torch in. as said it looks a bit more profesional than the cheeper plastic ones, especially for those first appearances with new customers.

I then have various plastic boxes for other less frequenlty used tools.

But I keep my regs book/certs and other paperwork in a 'pilots case' box shaped type briefcase thing, approx

"stop em all flying all over the place when traveling around corners!!!!!!" :eek: :O:O

You been speeding about the place mate?

Doesn`t look too professional when customer passes you pulled over by rozzers :^O :^O:^O

Not that I can talk - been had 3 times now:( :_| ]:)

"stop em all flying all over the place when traveling around corners!!!!!!" :eek: :You been speeding about the place mate?

Doesn`t look too professional when customer passes you pulled over by rozzers :^O :

Not that I can talk - been had 3 times now:( :_| ]:)
I cannot tell a lie, your honour,

I do have 3 points with 12months left to go before I can clean the slate again! ]:)

Its a bit of a bu**er when you are on you way back home after finishing a job and you spend

tools, cant buy better than Knipex for cutters etc, been using em for 20 years now, mutts nuts. :D

as for them metal chest with slidy out drawers,

ummm,

well I got one of these,

http://www.ttcuk.com/beta-tools-c23c-portable-tool-chest-with-8-drawers-156-p.asp

keep it in the van for all my bits and bobs.

but for site work just one of their big plastic tool boxes, about 2'6" ish, holds most stuff i need on site.

think those little alu cases are a bit pretentious and diyer, LOL

:^O :^O

(jus kidding!)

Picked up a very nice ABS toolcase from a bootsale. It belonged to an ex-BT Engineer who was flogging off loads of stuff. Wish I'd bought both of the cases he was selling now.

It only cost me

Got yourself a good deal there Mr Sworlds.

:)