Touch screen room stat settings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cniallc

Reaction score
In my new house I have touch screen room stats in each room. They show no manufacturer’s name but look like older type Reliance WC stats-the instruction leaflet has no name either.
They save their settings when the power fails except for the on/off status which always goes to off when the power returns. This seems to me to be a crazy arrangement which makes these stats unfit for use.
Am I right to be surprised-perhaps these are cheap imitations which lack full functionality.
RWC have failed to respond to my emails requesting advice.
Anyone here know anything about these?

I don't know your devices, but as a general principle any system reverting to OFF following a power failure doesn't strike me as unreasonable or unusual. It could in some circumstances be seen as a safety measure.
How many power failures do you experience that you consider this a problem?

Well, the power failures which happen whilst I am at home are not a significant problem but those which occur when I am away are a problem and would be a significant problem if temperatures were very low, when I would like the plumbing not to freeze.
In the last ten months the power has failed at least four times, one of which was while I was away for three weeks during Winter.
Since the stats have a frost guard function, they really are not fit for purpose.

Good suggestion however these stats were fitted only last year and all behave alike in this respect. I’ll try to provide a pic-probably tomorrow.

Here is a pic of the stat.

Attachments

• 25FE39CB-215A-4CBA-BB75-D98077364470.jpeg
    25FE39CB-215A-4CBA-BB75-D98077364470.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 4
I think your power failing 4 times in ten months is more concerning than a stat that reverts to off after a power failure,
I'd say most things have a failsafe to off after power is reinstated after a power cut.

Thanks, but this is the reality of rural life. The source of heat (LG Therma ashe) recovers entirely after any power cut so it is frustrating that the stats then prevent heat from being produced.

Thanks, but this is the reality of rural life. The source of heat (LG Therma ashe) recovers entirely after any power cut so it is frustrating that the stats then prevent heat from being produced.
Really,?
Many years ago I lived in the back of beyond, think deliverance, and maybe had a couple of power it's each winter, that lasted a few days at a time, but certainly didn't have them regularly,
I'd have thought the infrastructure had improved over the past 30 years, not got worse.
Anyway, back to your point, the stats going to the off position by default is , IMO, correct.
You could invert this state by using a relay/contactor if you so wished.

Thanks. Perhaps the weather has just become more extreme. I think it has, though I agree that the infrastructure should also have become more stable.

Thanks Geoff, that would answer the safety concern but it would still be a pain to return to a cold house in Winter after any power cut. I think changing the stats or at least a few of them to Heatmisers which I am assured do not default to off after a power cut would sort the problem at a modest cost.