track lighting install

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post. I hope someone will be able to help with my question.

I am installing some track lighting. It is 240 volt track and individual lights are 

LED with inbuilt transformers. (Biard)

The room I am installing in already has a central light which i would like to keep.

Is it possible to obtain power for the track lights from the existing centre light or switch?

If so how would I go about connecting it up?

I would like to have a separate dimmer switch for the track lights. I am reasonably competent with electronics and wiring.

I would also need advice on an appropriate surface mounted dimmer switch.

There will be a maximum of 8 -10 track lights.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

k

A few  of things  you need to address.   

The track will have a live end  and a dead end   so you need to be able to get wires to  wherever the live end will be .  

If theres a loft above you should be OK.

Ground floor  the floor joists usually run the shortest  distance  so you could poke wires along that chamber  but thats it .  A floorboard lifting job above  possibly. 

See if theres a permanent   L & N  at the centre light , keeping it simple , run a twin from there to the new switch  and a twin to the live end of track .

You will need to ensure the track lights can be dimmed  then match them up with a dimmer .    

Thanks for your reply.

It sounds straightforward so hopefully I can manage it.

It is on the ground floor and the boards above are loose

so it should be easy to get to.

Thanks again .

K

Is it OK just to run a twin cable?

Looks like there is an earth terminal on the track (metal).

Thanks.

keef

thanks for your reply.

I am not sure what the 18th Edition means.

Can you please enlighten?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I said "Twin cable"    I was trying to keep the advice simple ........ my mistake ....  use  twin & earth cable .    

"18th edition"  refers to the Electrical regulations that we, as electricians, have to follow.   

When I said "Twin cable"    I was trying to keep the advice simple ........ my mistake ....  use  twin & earth cable .    

"18th edition"  refers to the Electrical regulations that we, as electricians, have to follow.   

Thank you very much for the clarification.

I  have opened up the junction box in the ceiling

and can see the power coming in on the right, leads going to the switch and 

the connection to the downlight on the left.

Looks pretty straightforward to connect to the power from there.

Cheers,

keef

I have finally got round to tackling this.

Unfortunately I have come up with a problem. I have connected the twin and earth to the ceiling connector

using the same connectors as the incoming power.  The result is no power going to the track lighting

or rather 13volts measured with a multimeter.

On closer inspection it seems the wire going from the ceiling connector to the 

existing switch - red wire, isn't connected to anything. I traced it along to the next connection - see image No.2.

It seems that the wiring at the switch must be wrong although the existing room light works fine.

Not sure how to proceed now as the switch is fairly inaccessible.

Thanks for any advice.

k

Roseconnection.jpg

2.jpg

It is a strange anomaly in the electrical world. We, as Electricians, Earth everything ( almost ).  BUT ver rarely mention the earth when talking about cable......it's a bit weird

Twin is actually two core and earth

3 core is 3 cores and earth

BUT when it comes to flex then we refer to it!

So 3 core flex is 2 cores and earth!

no idea why