Training advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Reeder

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have no experience as an electrician, other than a little DIY knowledge from home. I am wanting to become an electrician but I’m struggling to work out what is the best route. 

I’ve had a look into apprenticeships, but there doesn’t seem to be a huge number on offer (I’m not sure if that’s just because of the current pandemic). I’d be happy to sit out a year on the apprenticeship wage to be able to qualify in 3-4 years. 

Another option is to get trained up at a college, level 2 and 3 diplomas, and then do the NVQ part in the field. The problem with this option is the cost of training not on the job and the fact that I can’t seem to find any jobs where you’d be able to do the NVQ (electricians mate/ trainee) that don’t require experience. So the real question I’m asking on this one is who do you get experience with no experience to begin with? 

The 3rd option I’ve seen which I can’t tell whether the industry frowns upon or not is the domestic installer program. Could you potentially do this and then fully qualify if you feel the need to later on? Mature candidate program maybe? I guess another problem with this one is do you need experience working with someone to get accredited as an installer? And again, how do you get that experience when people aren’t taking people on with no experience? 

Any help really appreciated 

If you search this Forum you'll find many threads on this subject ,  I answered one yesterday if you take a look at   " Training advice "  first thread on the Home page .  However that  guy is  a qualified spark who has been out of the trade for a while .  

Unfortunately I cannot see anyone taking on someone who no experience  or previous training ,  I know you don't want to hear that .

Others may have some other ideas for you but I can only see one way to go . 

Sign up at local college , make  double sure you are on the correct courses .   The main problem that I see is this NVQ  thing where you need to be working with a contractor ..again not easy .   

The Domestic installer route is no different .             There are the dreaded 5 week courses we hear of which would be meaningless to be honest .