Training level 3 maintenance to installations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc1996

Reaction score
Hi guys just wanted abit of advice I currently have my 18th edition, 2391/2 testing and inspection and a Level 3 NVQ in engineering maintenance (electrical). I’m also one year through doing a HNC in electrical and electronic engineering. I’m a bit stuck as from what I understand if I’d completed an installation NVQ 3 this would have put me in a better position as the transition from installation to maintenance is easier then maintenance to installation. My main question I guess is it worth while me getting the installation NVQ so that I can have a broader range of opportunities or am I wasting time and money?

I would suggest that you are going to need the NVQ3 installation qualification at some point so why prolong it? You may also be required to do the AM2 as well, so it’ll all cost approx £2k at todays prices, you are welcome to wait and pay tomorrows prices if you so wish.

I would be interested to know what you are taught in the maintenance qualifications that makes transition difficult? I’ve never looked at maintenance qualifications as I figured if you know how to install and develop an appreciation of testing then maintenance should be fairly straight forward?

That is a good point. My maintenance qualification was related a lot to industrial Motor control, lighting, PLCs, limited inspection and testing and minimal installation.

You don't actually say what your current employment situation is..
or where you would like your future career development to go?

i.e. Is you question relating to wanting to move-on from an existing employment situation?

You need to remember that it's not uncommon within larger companies to offer some 'limited' training qualifications to various employees,
in order to ensure basic health & safety requirements are covered..
And providing a few supervisory staff are suitably qualified.. then many lesser qualified staff can work under their supervision..

If you want to change jobs, then you need to find out what qualification prospective employers are looking for..
and make sure you have them so that you are equal to, or above any other prospective job candidates..

If you are looking are starting your own business then its a matter of ensuring you are suitably qualified to meet all of your prospective customers expectations and any trade body / insurance requirements..

🍺 :cool:

I guess my main goal is to be deemed as a competent electrician outside of my company. I know I can apply for other maintenance roles but getting into contracting and doing a bit of everything from what I’ve gathered id need Level 3 NVQ installations and AM2 to be viewed as an electrician.

I guess my main goal is to be deemed as a competent electrician outside of my company. I know I can apply for other maintenance roles but getting into contracting and doing a bit of everything from what I’ve gathered id need Level 3 NVQ installations and AM2 to be viewed as an electrician.
If I was you I would to the installation NVQ and AM2

Latest posts