Transformers keep blowing?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS79

Reaction score
Evening all

Have got a little problem not come across before. Recently completed some works for a customer and while there she asked me to check out a low voltage light she has had some problems with. She said she had had an electrician round in recent past and he had twice replaced the same transformer but it had blown again. So thinking it most likely coincidence or dodgy cheap transformer replaced with one I usually use and have had no issues with. An LED transformer and advised her to use LED bulb which she has. Lo and behold not a week past and she has contacted me to say has blown again. I'm a bit baffled by this and not sure what would cause this. I did make the mistake of not taking loop readings, could this be causing it to blow, I presume it could. I'm pretty confident it wasn't end of line and so would imagine if this case lights further along circuit would be affected. I had 230v across both L-E and L-N. Any help appreciated like I say baffled.com

Thanks

How did you prove that the transformer had actually blown?   (Failed)

Customers word...?

The light had stopped working..?

Clear signs/smells of some component burnt out...?

Other..?

.Or is the problem that the light(s) the transformer supplies have stopped working?

Did you prove the lamp connectors were not faulty..

I assume this is a 12v light with those poxy prone to fail MR16 type push connectors.?

Power rating of transformer?

Power drawn by load?

:C  

Thanks All

The previous transformer did show signs that it had burnt out and she said was same before that one. I haven't been back to property but have requested her to try other bulbs to see if it is infact transformer/MR16 lamp holder. On changing transformer I did check the MR16 connectors and seemed fine. I think if transformer has in fact blown will just replace with 230v down light or convert if possible. Will let you's know if get to bottom of it but interesting one

Thanks All

The previous transformer did show signs that it had burnt out and she said was same before that one. I haven't been back to property but have requested her to try other bulbs to see if it is infact transformer/MR16 lamp holder. On changing transformer I did check the MR16 connectors and seemed fine. I think if transformer has in fact blown will just replace with 230v down light or convert if possible. Will let you's know if get to bottom of it but interesting one

Customers are great, but I would always confirm things for yourself - they have a habit of buying cheap lamps from supermarkets

Thanks guys. Turns out I'm a bit premature in my working life as well as my personal. Advised customer to try some better bulbs........da da all working now 💁‍♂️

Thanks guys. Turns out I'm a bit premature in my working life as well as my personal. Advised customer to try some better bulbs........da da all working now 💁‍♂️

There are some basic essential golden rules you must always remember to follow....

(A) Listen to what a customer says is the problem...

(B) Apply customer correction factors to all descriptions given.......

(B1) Customers cannot describe any fault systems accurately.

(B2) Customers cannot describe any items of equipment accurately.

(B3) Customers cannot describe any actions they have or haven't taken accurately.

(B4) Customers forget several related symptoms that have been occurring recently, until you have proved and resolved the original fault.

(C) Assume EVERYTHING is faulty until you have proved exactly what does or doesn't work.

(D) Never overlook the bleedin' obvious, until you have proved the bleedin' obvious is not the cause.

Guinness

There are some basic essential golden rules you must always remember to follow....

(B3) Customers cannot describe any actions they have or haven't taken accurately.

(B4) Customers forget several related symptoms that have been occurring recently, until you have proved and resolved the original fault.

(C) Assume EVERYTHING is faulty until you have proved exactly what does or doesn't work.

(D) Never overlook the bleedin' obvious, until you have proved the bleedin' obvious is not the cause.

Guinness

You forgot ' customers will have often fiddled with said system causing fault but not bothering to tell you' 

Guinness

You forgot ' customers will have often fiddled with said system causing fault but not bothering to tell you' 
Thanks chaps

All noted and stored in the guidebook