Tricky area in the regs ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamp-not-bulb

Reaction score
Hi All,

I did post this in another forum and it's a good discussion.

What's your thoughts on this. If you have a 2.5mm radial bunched in with a ring main on a 32a breaker then that's a C2 but you can spur off a ring main out in the field no problem...

What's the difference ?

not really a tricky area at all... read appendix 15. specifically the point that says you can take a spur directly from the MCB...

anyone giving a C2 for that is quite simply incompetant. even without the ring, providingt he cable is adequately protected against fault current (almost always yes), and overload (yes if feeding one point) then its all good

You.must base this on Regulations as Appendix 15 is informative although often quoted.

The current in a spur feeding a single double socket outlet cannot overload the 2.5 so it is allowable.
It will be protected by the OCPD for fault.

I'm sure that there is a certificate software package which flags a spur at origin as a C2 - can't remember which one it is though.

But its not a code at all.

Next

not really a tricky area at all... read appendix 15. specifically the point that says you can take a spur directly from the MCB...

anyone giving a C2 for that is quite simply incompetant. even without the ring, providingt he cable is adequately protected against fault current (almost always yes), and overload (yes if feeding one point) then its all good
Unless the installation method is such that the CCC is far lower than the 25/26a a double socket could potentially receive. Ironically, you've spelt 'incompetent' wrong which was quite funny.

Unless the installation method is such that the CCC is far lower than the 25/26a a double socket could potentially receive. Ironically, you've spelt 'incompetent' wrong which was quite funny.
double sockets are rated as 20A, despite the fact you can plug 2off 13A plugs in.

They used to do this with the down ring then double up feeding a socket for a fridge or washer say seen it loads, if i was changing the board I would split it and put it on its own on a 16a breaker but on an eicr I would c3 it as the most your ever gonnna plug in that socket it’s 2x 13a which a 2.5 will take it will not do the socket well like but I can’t see how it’s a c2 think it’s a bit harsh

They used to do this with the down ring then double up feeding a socket for a fridge or washer say seen it loads, if i was changing the board I would split it and put it on its own on a 16a breaker but on an eicr I would c3 it as the most your ever gonnna plug in that socket it’s 2x 13a which a 2.5 will take it will not do the socket well like but I can’t see how it’s a c2 think it’s a bit harsh

why are you giving somehting thats fully compliant with BS767 a C3?