Tripping Problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul FA

Reaction score
I have garden lights in the front and back gardens. They are on a timer.

When the garden lights are on and the indoor house lights are also on, everything is fine.

When I turn on the oven or other large heating appliances the entire property electrics trip.  When I isolate the the garden lights (ie isolate them on the main switch board) everything works completely normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your response Murdoch.  Apologies, I am a novice and have no idea what "cumulative leakages" means.  Be great if you could perhaps spell it out for me please.

Thanks for your response Murdoch.  Apologies, I am a novice and have no idea what "cumulative leakages" means.  Be great if you could perhaps spell it out for me please.

I'm guessing that each of the circuits on the RCD are leaking to earth - once you get to about 22 ma then it will trip - so depending on whats being used on these circuits then either trips or doesn't trip the RCD

Tricky to say much else really without using proper test kit ....

Why should it trip at 22ma. Product standards dictate 30ma rcds are manufactured to trip at around the 27-28ma mark.

Why should it trip at 22ma. Product standards dictate 30ma rcds are manufactured to trip at around the 27-28ma mark.

BS7671 states the must not trip at 15ma,   but must trip at 30ma.

the real world means it is actually permissible for anything 16ma or higher to cause an RCD to trip...

But that said it is also a poor design having multiple circuits sharing the same RCD..

as BS7671 also says you should design installations to avoid nuisance tripping.   

BS7671 states the must not trip at 15ma,   but must trip at 30ma.

the real world means it is actually permissible for anything 16ma or higher to cause an RCD to trip...

But that said it is also a poor design having multiple circuits sharing the same RCD..

as BS7671 also says you should design installations to avoid nuisance tripping.   
I don't understand @Murdoch saying at 22ma it will trip.

Thank you Murdoch, Fleeting and Special Location.  Its great to have you guys discussing my problem.  I am more than happy to get in an Electrician to solve the problem.  However, it would really help if I could give him a steer as the last time I had a different type of problem I felt I was being taken advantage of.

Any thing to guide whoever I employ.  Better still if you guys can solve!  Thank you all.