Triton shower on steroids!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillsimo

Reaction score
Hi....I've searched high & low but haven't found anything online relating to my problem...but plenty relating to the reverse.

I have a fairy basic Triton shower, nothing fancy at all. Of late both the flow & temperature have started to fluctuate a little but by far the biggest problem is that it will very suddenly/quickly ramp up to full on mains pressure.

It's so powerful that the shower head throws itself up/back in its holder, no matter how bloomin tight it is, spraying cold water onto the wall at the far end of my bath...around 3Metres. Worse of all, I'm usually still between head & far wall as this happens!

It'll cut out after 10secs or so & usually go straight back into it if switched immediately back on.

A good hard thump on the casing sometimes works...for a minute or two...but usually I have to give in & try hours later...when it might work fine enough to take a quick shower...or might not, water-cannoning me with cold water, standing there with latherer up private's!

Removed the cover, sprayed a bit of WD40 around, wiggled a couple of relay armatures to check they moved freely...beyond that I'm lost.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated ta

Gill

It's not an electrical problem.  The flow rate (and hence the temperature) is controlled by the flow regulator which is a knob that adjusts the water flow rate.

If the flow rate is varying slightly the flow regulator is broken.

I would just replace it. One of the nice things about a Triton shower, is just how cheap they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the advice....yes, as stated, both flow/temperature have been `varying slightly`.....but an audible click & the thing turns into a Karcher....that would still probably be the flow regulator?

Thanks/Gill

Mains supply is fine Geoff...too fine....it's as though the whole shower unit is suddenly by-passed & cold mains is fed directly to the head?

There was a problem with some Triton showers a little while ago that Triton were fixing FOC might be worth giving there customer services a call to see if it is a known problem

From my experience of many electric showers, they tend to have a small mesh filter at the water inlet connection. (This is to stop debris coming up the pipe and damaging the internals of the shower). Have you actually removed the inlet connection pipe to (1) check the filter is clean, (2) measure the inlet water pressure. (Triton tend to quote between 1 & 10 bar IIRC).  Random spraying of WD40 is probably as much use as washing and "Turtle-Waxing" a car to get it though an MOT. Basic rules of any fault finding are (a) Check all relevant elements are within manufactures specifications. (b) Assume nothing. (c) Verify everything.  I have known water authority work out in the street to allow some grit and debris to flow along the incoming rising main and limit or restrict flow to taps and showers. 

Doc H.