trying to set up on my own. a few questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamlettphil

Reaction score
hi ive just registered with this forum. The deal is i work for a housing association as a spark bin doing it for the best part of ten years now.

Im thinking of setting up my own part time electrical business to do at weekends and evenings etc. Im not familiar with the part p regs. would i have to be registered part p, to wire peoples showers and down lights etc? or is it just when people are extending their proprties?

another issue is i am classed as a compotent person, would i be able to self certify without being registered with the niceic or the eca. as ive seen the kewtech domestic installation certificates in the wholesalers. Would these be sufficent. cheers for any help you can give.

Welcome to the forum - hamlettphil. May I ask what part of the country you are in Please?

Warm welcome to you hamlettphil :D

Im thinking of setting up my own part time electrical business to do at weekends and evenings etc
All the best of luck with your venture, I find its nice to earn money for yourself rather than somebody else :p .

Im not familiar with the part p regs. would i have to be registered part p, to wire peoples showers and down lights etc? or is it just when people are extending their proprties?
It's upto you if you want to get registered with the likes of NAPIT / NICEIC / ECA / ELECSA for the part P side of things or you can just pay the local building control fee for notifiable works.

another issue is i am classed as a compotent person, would i be able to self certify without being registered with the niceic or the eca. as ive seen the kewtech domestic installation certificates in the wholesalers. Would these be sufficent.
Some LBC do accept certs from sparks they class as competent that arent with a scheme operator (EXTO you still do this dont you?), best give your LBC a call & ask.

As for the certs from Kewtech no reason why you cant use them if they follow the 7671 pattern.

Warm welcome to you hamlettphil :D All the best of luck with your venture, I find its nice to earn money for yourself rather than somebody else :p .

It's upto you if you want to get registered with the likes of NAPIT / NICEIC / ECA / ELECSA for the part P side of things or you can just pay the local building control fee for notifiable works.

Some LBC do accept certs from sparks they class as competent that arent with a scheme operator (EXTO you still do this dont you?), best give your LBC a call & ask.

As for the certs from Kewtech no reason why you cant use them if they follow the 7671 pattern.
what is EXTO? not heard of this before

EXTO-> extension15 -> A member on here.

what is EXTO? not heard of this before
Not what but whom! :D

Extension 15, to give him his full title, has given up paying the Part P clubs

hi ive just registered with this forum. The deal is i work for a housing association as a spark bin doing it for the best part of ten years now. Im thinking of setting up my own part time electrical business to do at weekends and evenings etc.
Welcome to the forum m8. :)

If you are posting after 11:00pm..

please tap your keyboard quietly.. cuz Theory will be trying to get to sleep! :D :|

Im not familiar with the part p regs. would i have to be registered part p' date=' to wire peoples showers and down lights etc? or [u']is it just when people are extending their proprties?
NO. Part P applies to any notifiable electrical alterations whether building work is involved or not.

In addition to what the other guys have said.. I'll just add my bit...

You'll probably be wise to get hold of a copy of Approved document P which gives guidance for Part P building regs..

either on-line such as..

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

or from all good booksellers Approx