Tumble dryer on extension lead

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maja

Reaction score
Hi all

Just a quick question. Just bought a tumble dryer and the only room for it is in the bathroom where there is no plug. So I need an extension about 5 meters.

I know that this is potentially dangerous and tumble dryer should be always plugged into the wall but unfortunately this is not possible. I live in a rented house. 

To minimise the risks:

- will get a good quality extension lead such as this one - SIMBR 5M Extension Lead Cable Heavy Duty Cord Wire with 1-Gang 13A Plug Socket H05VV-F 3*1.5 Orange - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07281DHGK/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

- will also get Masterplug ARCDKG RCD Safety Adaptor - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-ARCDKG-RCD-Safety-Adaptor/dp/B000RZDNZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539032381&sr=8-2&keywords=rcd+safety+adaptor

- bathroom will not be used whilst dryer on etc

- somebody always around when dryer on. 

I checked on the manufacture's website and total tumble dryer power is 2700W. (heater wattage 2300W, the rest I believe the motor etc.) The extension is rated to 2860W so it's close but still in. 

Do you think I will be ok or will burn the house down. lol

Thank you for any tips. 

M

I may get banned from the forum for this, as in UK bathrooms and electrics are a NO-NO! 

However I believe it common practice in France and probably other continental countries to put washers and dryers in bathrooms, where of course sockets are also permitted, so let's stand back from the regulations and UK convention and take a look at the actual dangers.

Further, let's face it, he's probably going to do it anyway!

I think the OP has correctly identified the major hazard in his proposal as being overheating the extension lead. 

If its never connected whilst the room is being used as a bathroom, wet condition electrocution risk is eliminated.

So, being realistic, whilst it is impossible to professionally endorse the arrangement, providing the proposed precautions are fully observed actual harm is unlikely. 

The extension lead should be removed when not in use and appropriate venting for the dryer ensured

So after months of 'proudly getting away with it' and with a few of your red-lines being forgotten . .  the Tumble dryer does overheat and starts making a very nasty smell such that someone leaps smartly out of the bath and disconnects it at the extension socket with water from their body also soaking their hands, the plug/socket, the floor and the adjacent plumbing metalwork . . .       The inquest wonders if the installer (or 'blesser')  of this arrangement acted correctly or contributed to the fatality . .  

In Australia it is usual to have a double socket right next to the shower cubicle. It is usual to see the washing machine and a hairdryer plugged in. I didn't here of Australians dropping dead in their bathrooms regularly.  When I told my BIL we are not allowed to do that here because somebody might be stupid enough to use the hairdryer in the cubicle with the water on. In his Australian accent he replied "if they are that bloody stupid they deserve to die"

You know it contravenes the UK   Regs ...its not a good idea   but Brusparks scenario is  why the Regs  say what they do .     I've seen it and worse in rented properties  but  its not good.

I'm not condoning this action ....just saying that extension lead needs to be 1.5mm   or bigger    ...and  MUST  be unrolled completely ,  specially with that load on it .   

And while it  should not be in the bathroom   at all .....if it were  in there  there MUST be an RCD  protecting it ...if there is'nt then don't do it .      In fact don't do it period .   

Latest posts