Type C MCB installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riw123

Reaction score
Hi! This is my first post on here so hopefully I can make at least a little bit of sense (I understand from the introduction that I can't post pictures until I have made 10 posts). 

I have a new table saw (Harvey hw110-lge) at my workshop in Amsterdam (I know, UK forum, but I'm hoping things may be similar/the same? I'm from Birmingham and my Dutch is not currently up to scratch!) 

anyway.. back to it. 

The table saw is tripping the MCB on startup. It's 230v single phase, 2.2kw (3HP) which is why I got it in the first place. However after a lifetime setting it up i powered it on only to find after a split second it shuts off. A quick email to the company I got it from and they said everyone installs a type C MCB to run it to deal with the spike on startup. 

After ordering the one they recommended (GACIA PB8H - C16) I see that it has two connections on the top and two on the bottom which is unlike the type B MCBs currently installed. 

My my question is (I got there in the end) - how do I wire this up? I have space in my distribution box (? - I hope my terminology has at least been understandable!) - it's 2 'sockets' wide. I will take it to its own plug socket and it will be the only thing running off this circuit. 

I have been trying for a whole week to get a hold of an electrician and they have all either said it's too small a job for them to bother with, or they are busy for the coming months (and I've tried at least 15 by now!) 

if it's as small a job as they say I was wondering if it might be something I can do myself?

anyway thank you for taking the time to read this! And I look forward to hearing back from you and maybe gleaning some knowledge!

best,

Rich

sounds like you have a DP MCB and not an SP one. but there is a lot more to swapping the MCB than jsut changing it. you need to ensure that the MCB is capable of adequately protecting the circuit. there is a fair chance it isnt

you could DIY if you have a relevant copy of the wiring regs you can look up the required values and you have the correct test equipment to ensure that the circuit is within those values...

Thank you for your quick reply!

Yeah it being double pole is what threw me. Had it looked like the others I would have (and probably good that I didn't) just popped it in and wired it up. 

I'm having a really hard time finding any information on how exactly to wire up a double pole MCB and probably for good reason! I think from the sounds of things I should probably just get back to the yellow pages (or google as we call it now) and keep hoping someone is available for less than €150 just to 'take a look' 

thank you again for your reply! I don't think everyone else sharing the studio would be too happy with me destroying our power! :)  

best leave it to the professionals in this case I think! 

How is the saw connected? i.e. is it plugged into a 13A plug? hard wired into a dedicated circuit?

What make is your consumer unit, and what is the rating of the mcb that is tripping?

Haha. Well that clears that up! 

Are all type C MCBs double pole? 

Or basically what I'm asking is - without re-doing the entire system is it possible to get this saw running? We have to move in march so there's no sense in spending all that money when I would most likely have to do it again in a few months time.. :(  

ProDave - from the photos I have (I'm not there right now) I see ABB hafonorm on the box and the MCB is 16a B. 

The only sockets in my space are also connected to the lights (there are two boxes in the studio - I would be wiring the saw to the larger ABB hafonorm, not the current one although they look the same despite the size) 

the back of the saw has a male 16a (blue) socket coming from it. It is currently running to a 2 pin 13a plug as the manufacturer suggested but my plan with the new circuit was to put it directly back to a 16a socket (to stop any unforeseen problems arising) 

That one is a single pole so probably better compatible with your distribution board. You can try it but you may find that even a C curve still trips if it's 16 Amp with a 3 HP single phase motor. I'd suggest you get a sparky and find out what's involved in upgrading to a C curve with a 20A circuit. I'm not sure what the Dutch regsrequire regarding disconnect times etc.

Yeah I think that's best - maybe with all these MCBs I'm buying it will end up cheaper to hire someone! 

I just now got a recommendation of somebody to contact tomorrow so fingers crossed it will be my first positive reply! 

Thank you all so much for your replies  so far by the way - it's proving to be a big help :)