Uh-Oh.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the last four months, I`ve had a single storey extension on the go, in liason with the builders, customers etc. :)

During the last month, sod all has been happening. No-one there, no works done since last week, etc. :eek:

Had a `phone call from customer on Thursday. Basically saying that they`d got plasterers, roof was almost finished, and they wanted me back in. I arranged to call up & see `em this morning. :)

At this time, most of the first fix wiring is in place. I`ve fitted the new flush mount meter box, got 25mm tails &EC in place, to new CU position. All cabling, including cabinet lighting, ceiling downlight wiring, o/s lighting, etc etc.B)

So I arrive this morning. Customer comes out, won`t let me go round to the extension. Tells me that he`s had 2 NIC sparx, AND an NIC inspector out, who took photos, and "slated the work", but can`t tell me what is supposed to be wrong, or the inspector`s name. :eek: :(

Bottom line - Return ALL monies paid to date by Tuesday (

Hold onto the cash KME, sounds like you are being taken for a ride there. :(

Kme

Sorry to here that

take a deep breath and have a beer

Telephone NIC on Tuesday and clarify whether there has been a complaint made against you,,im sure either way they can advise accordingly of your next step.

If they do not know of any complaint then wait the 7 days or a reply from your letter then go to the small claims court,,,,

Were there any vehicles outside the property when you turned up ?? as in any other sparky vans ???? you may be right that they have a change of builder and has his own sparks.

Do you know the old builder ???? speak to him.

It may of course just be a way to get you off site off the job

you could always go and reclaim your materials

keep hold of the

:eek:

Bloody Heck, KME.

I hope you get that sorted out Mate. :|

He's got more to worry about than his hat Admin! :p

Damn editing ability! X(

Sorry about the problems! It's easy for us to say don't let it spoil your weekend - it always leaves a sour taste when others don't act honestly - but hope you get a satisfactory resolution! Looks like you're getting good advice - so hope it works out OK.

It is my understanding that:-

1) The customer HAS to inform you in writing of any complaints & then give you a reasonable time to rectify the complaint BEFORE escalation back to NICEIC.

2) Once NICEIC receive a complaint they contact the business concerned in writing to allow the business to reply regarding the complaints

3) If the NICEIC are going back to a site to inspect a complaint.. a representative of the enterprise MUST be present at the inspection.

4) The NICEIC is concerned solely with the safety & technical standard of the work.. (if its not yet energised or complete then HOW????)

These point are all my paraphrase from the NICEIC complaint procedure.

So in a nutshell customer is tryin to pull a fast one! :eek:

probably run-out of money.. :|

looking at getting job done cheap or just stop altogether?? X(

I would suggest you are within you rights to access site to reclaim materials that are your property until payment received?

Do you have a written quote agreement with the customer relating to the work??

I reckon the Dons boys need to pay a visit to this B******d!!!X(X( X(

Don't pay nothing back m8..

dig them heels in... stand your ground..

any genuine problems you would have two letters

one from customer & one from NICEIC!

{usfull to used signed-for letters again here I think!}

Don't let it spoil your B/H weekend m8..

I'll send a couple of scoobs back and you grab a beer out of steptoes fridge!! :| :)

Thanks for all the replies guys. :x

Yes, SL, the first thing I did when I got back to the office was check the NIC complaints procedure.B)

When they `phoned midweek, the customer said that the plasterers had made comment r.e. wires on ceiling joists. :eek:

To try and give you a picture here, it`s a single storey extension with a pitched roof. The plasterboarding is to follow the line of the roof, which must be 30 feet or so at the apex.

The cables have been tacked to the roof joists; as my understanding of the building reg is that roof trusses are not to be notched, drilled etc.

My discussion with the original builder (who I`m trying to track down), was that the roof timbers would have to be battened anyway, as the plasterboards would need closer support than the roof beams would provide.

It would appear that the new plastering firm intends to board onto the roof timbers, and raised an issue because the cables are in the way. :eek:

My fault, obviously. I should have put cordless sockets, lights and cooker point in! :)

I`m afraid its already managed to spoil my weekend somewhat; but I shall attempt to recover my equanimity over this.

To add insult to injury, the customer couldn`t decide whether to go for UFH or not, so we invited them down to the house to see/feel our floors.

"Oh, we`ll have that as well! And I want some of those lights."

And this is the way they treat you!:(X( X(

Thanks again for all the info guys. :x You make me feel better.

equanimity
Now thats a big impressive sounding word for a Saturday!!! :eek:

I shall nominate "equanimity" to be the word of the day! :D

equanimity

equanimity

equanimity

equanimity

equanimity

equanimity

yep! thats a good word! :D :D:DB)

Thanks again for all the info guys. :x You make me feel better.
Thats what we try to do m8:x

mind you......

dunno if we'd do that for welshy??? :^O :^O:^O:^O

if it wasn't for you Welshy we would never have met :x :x:x:x:x
Don't encourage him Theory!! :(

he'll start invitin you round for tea and cakes....... :eek:

then lock the door behind so you cant get out!!! :^O

If I'm not in bed by 12 i get told off by SL + KME !!!
When were you told you could stop up till 12?

I thought we made it clear 11:00 and NO later! X(

KME!

KME!

KME!

Theorys tryin to stop up late again! X( ]:)

Aww Bless - Thanks, At least I know that I have One friend on here. :D
ONE friend! :eek:

that many?

where did you find that then......

you been trapping people using your...

"come here my little friendly spark.. I have a nice Twix for you...."

"come on ... just a bit closer"... ; \ ; \

Anyway!

Mr W does this mean you been upsettin Admin2, if you only got one friend? ]:)

Yeah but your not his BEST friend are you!!!!!No??

Me neither.
OOOOH:O:O:O

Put the claws away love. ]:)

I wouldn`t know if I was his "best" friend?

Are any of them better than me?B)B) :^O

I know. I know. It`s the cat, isn`t it? He feels a "special" bond with it????? :x

Bless `im:^O:^O