UK socket power capacity question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hertz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am not an electrician by trade although I have an interest in all matters concerning electricity :) I had a technical question and I realised the best place to ask is in an electrician's forum in UK.
I came to the UK recently from India. I bought with me a Miele vacuum cleaner here. https://www.miele.sg/domestic/vacuu...00&name=Complete_C3_Allergy_PowerLine_-_SGFA3

1700w to 2000w max. 230v ac 50/60hz

The power plug on it is a slightly large 16 amp one. In UK, I see that all the power sockets in the home are 13 amp ones. Can I use the vacuum on these sockets? I was planning to change the plug on the vacuum cleaner to a UK type and start using it. Will I overload the sockets ? It is domestic vaccum cleaner.

I asked miele customer care and they asked me to use it on any socket that provides 890w. When I checked miele UK website, I can see all the vaccum cleaner models are rated at 890 w so I am worried if they are seeing the right picture. The lady at the other end on email is not very technical minded so conversation is not going very far :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
2000W is just under 9 amps so perfectly fine on a 13A plug.

The reason you are seeing lower power vacuum cleaners on line is because of a silly EU law that limited the power of vacuum cleaner that you are allowed to sell in the EU, and even though we are no longer in the EU we still seem to be applying these silly rules. So much for "taking back control"

Hey everyone,

I am not an electrician by trade although I have an interest in all matters concerning electricity :) I had a technical question and I realised the best place to ask is in an electrician's forum in UK.
I came to the UK recently from India. I bought with me a Miele vacuum cleaner here. https://www.miele.sg/domestic/vacuu...00&name=Complete_C3_Allergy_PowerLine_-_SGFA3

1700w to 2000w max. 230v ac 50/60hz

The power plug on it is a slightly large 16 amp one. In UK, I see that all the power sockets in the home are 13 amp ones. Can I use the vacuum on these sockets? I was planning to change the plug on the vacuum cleaner to a UK type and start using it. Will I overload the sockets ? It is domestic vaccum cleaner.

I asked miele customer care and they asked me to use it on any socket that provides 890w. When I checked miele UK website, I can see all the vaccum cleaner models are rated at 890 w so I am worried if they are seeing the right picture. The lady at the other end on email is not very technical minded so conversation is not going very far :)

Thanks in advance.

There are numerous UK appliances & tools that are rated 2000watts and higher..
Which have all been working for years and years quite happily via standard 13a socket outlets..

Kettles, Toasters, Hair Dryers, Heaters, Wallpaper strippers, Irons etc.. etc.. etc..

Basic rules you need to remember is Power = Voltage * Current..
so looking at the three most common fuse ratings used in UK plugs, (13, 5 & 3Amp)

13Amps x 230Volts = 2990Watts.
5Amps x 230Volts = 1150Watts.
3Amps x 230Volts = 690Watts.

Or looking at it the other way round Current = Power / Voltage..
so your 1700Watts / 230V = 7.4Amps
and 2000Watts / 230V = 8.7Amps

All perfectly reasonable to supply via a standard UK 3-pin plug & Socket.