Underfloor Heating Contactor Noises

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjp1877

Reaction score
Hi Forum

I recently had underfloor heating fitted. It is quite a large zone (4 separate mats). I have noticed the contactor makes sporadic, loud clicking noises (usually arriving in pairs). This occurs even when the system is not being called ie. not even asking the zone to heat up. The clicks are audible round the house and occur perhaps every 10-15 mins ish but seemingly with no rhyme or reason.

To me this doesn’t seem right.

Can anybody help me understand what’s going on and how to resolve?

@Murdoch yes, I have done unfortunately they have tried a couple of remedies - increasing size of contactor and replacing control/stat - but the clicking continues. Hence pursuing further advice and opinion.

@Sharpend when completing the app setup I was advised to enter 4800W in that field (from memory). Installer from the outset passed comment that a contactor would be required for this room in particular due to the sheer size of the area.

Apologies in advance for my layman speak.

Contactors will only make a noise if they are operating, or trying to. They will only do that with a signal to their coil.

I can't imagine the logic which fitted a larger contactor for the symptoms you describe.

Is there just a simple thermostat as control, or something more sophisticated?  You mention an APP. What doe that do?

@Geoff1946 Thanks Geoff. Yes, just a simple thermostat/wall control I believe. The app is just the standard accompaniment to enable control from phone.

It’s as though the system (loudly) clicks/breaks itself on/off every 10-15 mins. Without any request for the floor to heat at any point.

My pal has just commented that only a 1.5 cable has been used between the stat and the contactor. His (better than mine but still non-professional) view was that it should be 2.5.

I have a video of the clicking/breaking noise and a pic of the wiring/contactor setup but can’t work out how to attach it here. Like i said, I’m

non-tech 🤦‍♂️😆 

I would expect the thermostat cable to be fine. It won't carry much current; that's the job of the contactor.

My money is on something to do with the ability to remote control. Presumably there must be a wifi or phone network connected unit somewhere. If you can disable it or switch it off do so, and see if the problem goes away. 

My pal has just commented that only a 1.5 cable has been used between the stat and the contactor. His (better than mine but still non-professional) view was that it should be 2.5.

The cable from the stat to the contactor is only a "control/signal" cable so 1.5mm is fine.

My money is on something to do with the ability to remote control. Presumably there must be a wifi or phone network connected unit somewhere. If you can disable it or switch it off do so, and see if the problem goes away. 

I'm thinking regular 'hand-shake' from the app checking status of the system? 

Really interesting stuff. Many thanks for all your takes.

Think I have made a bit more of a diagnostic breakthrough. Have confirmed that the clicks (which appeared to arrive in pairs) are in fact 1. calling the system to heat then 2. (second click) switching it off. I’ve established this from watching the stat digital display when the clicks occur.

So - the system is clicking itself on and then off (after 30-60 secs) every 10-15 mins. Even though, according to the program/fixed temp setting, it shouldn’t be calling for heat at all.

Does that give any more clues?

@Geoff1946 I will try to disable the WiFi connection now.

I have had a chattering/clicking relay usually occur when not enough load is going through it. So what size is the contractor see ratings plate. Of course it could just be a loose connection? 

I have had a chattering/clicking relay usually occur when not enough load is going through it. So what size is the contractor see ratings plate. Of course it could just be a loose connection? 

Connections have been checked numerous times as initial installers have tried to fix the fault.

Contactor is 25A

manufacturer's
Contacted WarmUp tech support who just said not their problem. Issue with either wiring or contactor.

Did your installer check install before he left? 
Can you take a picture of contractor and wiring and similar for stat. Upload to third party app then post link on here. 

Warmup are very good in my experience
Just tried WarmUp again, this time reporting that the system switched itself on and off at seeming regular intervals (rather than a noisy contactor).

Was advised to increase the differential between Fixed Temperature setting and the actual floor temperate (Had been at 21 degrees and 23 degrees respectively - have adjusted to Fixed of 18 whilst current floor temp 23).

Will see how that goes. 

Was advised to increase the differential between Fixed Temperature setting and the actual floor temperate (Had been at 21 degrees and 23 degrees respectively - have adjusted to Fixed of 18 whilst current floor temp 23).

That would make some sense, if the parameters are too close it will struggle to differentiate between on and off. Do let us know if that works.

That would make some sense, if the parameters are too close it will struggle to differentiate between on and off. Do let us know if that works.
@binky Haven’t heard any further clicks for the last 60 mins or so. Had been regular as clockwork every 10ish mins for days prior to that. So fingers firmly crossed we are onto something.