Undersized Meter Tails (distributor) - what do I do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyboy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I performed an EICR recently and wanted some advice.

While inspecting the service head, I noted a couple of things on the service head.
1. the meter tails (distributor side), from the service head to the meter appeared undersized.
2. the main bonding did not look installed professionally - I know the connection is good as I tested Zs on the circuits however the whole install looks shoddy on the DNO side.

The property is a 3 bed flat - the DB is 2 floors up so quite a tricky run from the Service Head but that shouldn't stop them!

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone has come across a similar situation and what they did about it, if anything.

Cheers,

Lucky

1: not your problem. . if you think dangerous call DNO and repoty it to them and let them deal with it
2: bonding or earthing conductor? and why Zs? either way, if its NDO equipment, then see above

Here's a pic if anyone is interested.
Furthermore, both flats are hooked up to the right hand side 1361 fuse. So IF the either flat needs to be disconnected for whatever reason, as the DNO hasn't fitted an isolator (shock), then both flats will be in the dark! Great.

IMG_4192.JPG

Looking at that I’m not even sure that’s a DNO setup? What is the meter connected to, Flat 1? Then the other two pair cables go up the wall to flats 2&3?
So, middle fuse connects to the meter on the bottom right which is for communal.
The right fuse goes up to flats 2 & 3 where the meters are located.

I did speak to UKPN which suggested they didn't look after the tails and to contact the supplier.
In terms of earthing, they said to arrange with them to see if it can be converted to PME.

In terms of responsibility - I've added this on to the EICR as an observation of recommended improvement (C3) and advised who the LL should contact - is that sufficient?