Unswitched socket phone call

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Just had a phone call "I need to get the sockets changed you put in but only the ones that do not have switches"

Turns out she has watched a Which video clip on youtube (at about 2:18)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/MsQXbMzjjdU?feature=oembed

I told the dithering old dear "don't be so stupid".....................you can do that with your mother :pmsl1:

When she is introduced as a "top electrician" I wonder what that acually means ? I'm sure that there are a few top electricians on this forum :Salute

The pendant inner cores may have simply come off the little plastic retainers inside. As for unswitched sockets, they are of course still being made and are widely used, eg, installed below worktops in kitchens (although they are switched by a DP switch/ FCU above the counter). IIRC in some situations unswitched sockets are actually recommended in the BYB ,for example for essential medical equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
So to sum up then:

if you hear any funny buzzing sounds and there are some strange smells and you see some staining .........................................

i must make note for when a customer calls me round, do I tell her before I get there or wait until I've seen it for myself??

:C  

So to sum up then:

if you hear any funny buzzing sounds and there are some strange smells and you see some staining .........................................

i must make note for when a customer calls me round, do I tell her before I get there or wait until I've seen it for myself??

:C  
I had a dodgy King Prawn Phaal which reappeared later in much the same way....but i would say it was a tad louder than 'buzzing"💩💥💨🚽💍🔥

I understood that you could only use DP sockets, I don't remember anything about switches but duh???

DP because if the double pole isolation cannot be achieved by removing the plug from the socket???

It's unswitched so as to isolate it must be unplugged, therefore DP isolation,

If it's switched most people will only switch off and some humpty may have changed it for a SP at some point