Unusual Day, Mmmmmm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been finishing off a double garage being  converted into a home office, separate toilet and store room built, except the Polish builders disappeared  when there workmanship was questioned. More of that in a minute.

The garage is at the back of the garden with a  public road behind that feeds rows of garages for the next roads flats on one side and garages for theses houses on this side. At 10 am i was fixing a security light over the side gate when there was an almighty  big BANG  from the end of the row of lock ups the other side. I thought i felt the shock wave pass me &  loads of birds flew away. Peered over the edge of the garage roof, nothing to see, no smells or smoke and  no one looking out of windows in the tower block . Walked out to the corner, just a nice shiny black  Clio parked up with black windows so i went back to work thinking it must have been  someone slamming one of the up & over door down hard and it was the echo i heard.

Amongst the jobs i am finishing off is plumbing in the toilet. I gave up on Friday as the blue  water pipe was blocked and trying to back flush it & blow down on it didnt work. Brought my compressor in from home  and wound that up  to about 90 psi but still no good so told the customer the 25m run from the house will have to be dug up. The customer remembered seeing a blue pipe sticking up out the earth just by the toilet footings so we started there first.  We found a joint in the pipe, took it apart and the black plastic dust cap was still on the end of the pipe. Well that now makes everything the Poles did a complete f**k up.

So i have been busy all day enjoying working out side in this nice weather and  the lady of the house brings me out  my 4 o'clock  cup of tea, she  notices a few people   over the fence. I open the rear gate and there must have been 10 police cars, 2 ambulances, a fire engine and LFB incident van. No one knew nowt so i walked over to a copper, asked whats happening  and told him i had heard an explosion earlier. It turns out  a guy had committed suicide in the black Clio i had seen. He had  bought a gallon of petrol, parked up, locked the doors (keys still in ignition) and then poured the gallon of petrol over himself whilst sitting in the car. He went to light it but the fumes in a shut  car ignited immediately and that was the blast i heard. No windows were broken though, the black glass was actually from the blast & it took his face off.

The car sat there until 3.30 when a schoolgirls dog started sniffing around the car and she saw the body. It turns out i was the only one to hear the blast.  I couldn't get my van out  the incident area  & didn't finish giving 3 statements till 9 pm and only got home a short while ago.

Sheet slipper that is a nasty end to a day! :(

Thought it was just me that had to deal with toilets ;)
This was brand new, nice  & shiny. I did actually eat my lunch off it :B-

I loved the detail. '.....and loads of birds flew away....'
Sounds strange, but thats what i noticed, huge bang, all the birds scarpering then an aery silence

That reminds me must order some more latex gloves...

Been doing lots of cooker installs for social services recently...

Ewww :(

+1 to what shapie said well written story be it a sad one.

Last edited by a moderator:
That'll teach you to talk to coppers, surprised they only wanted 3 statements.... :slap

Do you feel all your troubles in the world are now less significant?

ouch. obviously didnt use enough petrol...............

(although that probably ended it quicker than burning)