Updating existing solar inverter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solar farmer

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and resident I'm Norther Ireland.
I have an 8 year old solar installation on my shed 40 meters from my house. It's a rent-a-roof set up and my good mate in England owns the system and reaps the benefits from the ROC payments.
It's 40 solar panels which I think are 275 Watts each on 4 strings into a Fronius IG 60 inverter which is 4600W. The system was installed by me the very last week that we had the 6.5kw limit which was reduced to 3.75kw. I think back then the inverters were chosen well under the limit so they wouldn't go over. Far less control in them at that time.
So I'm now thinking of changing the inverter for one with a bigger max limit, than can be set to not go over the 6.5kw. Thoughts please.
My complete setup now has a Zappi car charger at the house end and I've just ordered a FoxESS stand alone 5kw ac charger and batteries to go at the house end of the system to cover the house drain of 0.4kw/hour when the solar isn't covering it.
The big problem that I have is that I can't hard wire a mains CT between inverters in the barn and the grid incomer in the house 40 meters , which ruled out a hybrid inverter and batteries by the panels in the shed.
Shed is fed from the house on a 10mm sub main.
So any thoughts or comments on a bigger inverter or the rest of the setup gratefully received.