Upgrade of network to cat6 solid copper

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes the plugs are a Biatch to fit. Plug goes down, permanent link is lost until plug is replaced. 

patch panel is much hardier. Patch lead goes down, fit new in seconds
but plug into patch panel could just as easily fail, and this set up means you have 3 times the number of plugs to fail, albeit 2 of those are an easily replaced patch lead

My theory is that the patch panel fixed cables are tethered so will have less strain and are punched down into a Krone (or bag of 💩  110) 

plugs fitted to the cables can be quite tricky to achieve a decent headroom on a NEXT test. But admittedly the new RJ45  'through' plugs are much easier to fit.  I did 200+ shielded Cat6a last week, which was fun

push through RJ45s are far easier to use. I've always been of the opinion that who ever invented that whole data cable wiring system didn't like people  :^O

Some of those ties need trimming flush... 🧐😂

I prefer to use Velcro wrap on data cables, makes it easier to change things around and reduces the chance of crushing the conductors.

push through RJ45s are far easier to use. I've always been of the opinion that who ever invented that whole data cable wiring system didn't like people  :^O
Soldered 25 pin D Connectors.....crimps were not much better

BNC thin ethernet

beesting thick ethernet

ScEAD

IBM RJ45 BUT 10 PIN!

ICl system 10 ( may have been X?) and then 25 used FRICKING XLR microphone plugs

All designed by idiots

Badger where do you notice the difference in performance now you have upgraded to cat6?

I installed cat5e in my place and it does my cctv and web searching fine.

Is it a gaming thing or movie streaming thing?

Badger where do you notice the difference in performance now you have upgraded to cat6?

I installed cat5e in my place and it does my cctv and web searching fine.

Is it a gaming thing or movie streaming thing?
I found the cat5 CCA which was originally installed 10 years was jumpy on HD streaming across several devices at 1080p but on the cat 6 the streaming is smooth and very good on running cat5 can go at 100mhz but cat6 is 250mhz which means faster transmission 

@Badger do you have grid ceiling tiles so it’s easy to rewire, only I don’t think I could be ar5ed to lift floors for the sake of a different cable unless you had a broken cable? 
No loft space because the bungalow is a dormer type so cabling was easy 

I found the cat5 CCA which was originally installed 10 years was jumpy on HD streaming across several devices at 1080p but on the cat 6 the streaming is smooth and very good on running cat5 can go at 100mhz but cat6 is 250mhz which means faster transmission 

No loft space because the bungalow is a dormer type so cabling was easy 

its probably the CCA thats the problem

CCA. Seriously!

you deserve all you get😂

Quoted a job

Didn't  get it

a few months later got a call......can you come and look at it as the installers can't find out what's wrong 

yep £500/day, minimum charge 1 day

got on site, all done in CCA PATCH CABLE WIRE (stranded) with badly fitted RJ plugs on. Not one cable passed an ended to end test on all 8 cores AND they were trying to run POE on it 😂

CCA. Seriously!

you deserve all you get😂

Quoted a job

Didn't  get it

a few months later got a call......can you come and look at it as the installers can't find out what's wrong 

yep £500/day, minimum charge 1 day

got on site, all done in CCA PATCH CABLE WIRE (stranded) with badly fitted RJ plugs on. Not one cable passed an ended to end test on all 8 cores AND they were trying to run POE on it 😂
Tbf when the cable was ordered through the wholesalers back in them times I knew less about it and over the last few years I've learned or about the networking side of things