Ups

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well,

I am thinking of putting my cable modem, router, network switch, & NAS device (mainly to prevent file system corruption), on "a" UPS.

I can't decide whether to put them all on a single larger UPS, or, separate small ones.

This may be a temporary measure, or I may make it permanent, I can't decide yet. 

The reason being, is we are getting some dips, and sags in the supply, now we are TT, but on an underground CNE incomer with PME available if we want it, so the DNO is confident of the network in the area.

I am not sure if the voltage fluctuations are affecting anything though.

The issue us we are getting network drop outs, and not the WAN side, but the LAN side, and, it is both wired & wireless that are dropping out, now the Draytek router, may, be responsible, or it may be power sags that are affecting it.

I have luckily been actually near the Draytek when the network dropped out, wired & wireless, nothing obvious was noted with the lights on the front, though, I might have missed it.

The only thing connected to the Draytek wired is the switch, then all wired devices are connected to that.

As the wired & wireless are dropping out, it can't really be the switch, realistically it has to be something to do with the Draytek I think, but how to prove it.

It is intermittent, we have had one network drop out in approaching 48 hours, sometimes, we get several per day.

There is also a Windows PC that we used as a server, now this is sometimes giving BSOD's, but, not powering down.

These are all connected to the same socket outlet.

As is the cable modem, which is not powering down, as, it takes a few minutes to reboot & reconnect to our ISP, and, when the network drops out, you can almost instantly reconnect, and once the LAN is reconnected the WAN is working, with no delay, so the modem must be staying on.

The other thing that makes me think it may be dips is we have an amplifier that spends most of the day turned on at home for the radio, and this is intermittently shutting down.

I suppose I could, connect up my 1ph power logger to a laptop and let it log, as a voltage recorder, that way I could perhaps record short transients and have a reasonable storage, but, that means leaving a laptop & the logger @ home for I don't know how long, and I might get a call for one or the other when out and about.

I am thinking that the UPS would eliminate the power dips, as long as I use an online unit, plus in the event of a power cut, we would still have internet! ;)

It would thus prove that it is not the dips that are causing the network drop outs.

I have a small unit in stock, and I need to order another couple shortly, (we supply them as part of a regular job we do for a customer).

The issue being I think is going to be the cost of a UPS compatible with the NAS which will pass on the UPS shut down commands, IF I decide to implement a permanent solution!

So single UPS, or multiple?...

Is it worth even contemplating as a diagnostic method?

Thoughts and ideas please.

I would use a single UPS, less losses as each UPS uses power itself, and I persume (but can't back it up with data) that the power usage / wastage from one slightly larger UPS will be less than that of several smaller ones.  Also less cables cables about has to be a good thing.

We get appalling voltage sags (230v-190v) which used to cause my Netgear router and my managed switch to drop. The original power supplies were rated at 220-240v and I just replaced them with universal regulated 90-240v electronic power supplies and they've never given issues since.