Use of (uncertified) relay for grid connection?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tango5

Reaction score
With your wisdom and experience, any advice?

A neighbour has had a inverter and battery installed that I don’t believe will meet the G98 requirements.

The inverter has an EPS (emergency power) outlet that a number of light / power circuits are now feed from.
The manufacturer of the inverter had a “box” that would allow these circuits to normally be supplied from the grid (to increase the load capacity during normal operation), but isolate the EPS circuits from the grid (as you’d expect) if grid power failed.
However this box was not used.

Instead, the EPS circuit is connected to the grid via a:

MCG 40A Modular Contactor ( https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4327495-40a-modular-contactor-2-no-2-nc-contacts-230v-coil)​

I have no experience or qualifications here, but I’ve read the G98 docs and I can’t see this contactor meets the G98 spec.
However I’m more worried about the safety of any engineers working on the local power lines during a power cut, these are the guys I believe G98 is trying to protect?

I’ve no idea what the installer has or will have written in the G98 application if they have done one.

What do you think? Not my problem? It’s not regs but is safe? Needs to be reported (how? I’d want to do it confidentially), other?

Latest posts