Use Red/Black Twin and Earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylthom

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I am building a garage and have discovered a brand new roll of Red/Black 2.5mm Twin and Earth cable in my cupboard.

Now that we are no longer in EU, is it legal for it to be used?.

It would be such a waste buying new.

Thank you.

You can use it but you would have to sleeve the conductors brown and blue. This stuff sells well on EBay way over the original cost as it can be used to "escape" certain notifications, you can in other words claim the wiring to be older than it is. I have plenty of pre harmonisation cable.

In or out of the EU has nothing to do with it, if it did should we have gone back to Red and Black?

Many thanks.

I forgot to mention one thing though.
The garage is under Building Control inspection.

We changed colours because of colour blindness, I'm red and green colour blind myself.

Don't forget all new circuits have to be registered. As may void insurance.
Also the wiring regulations are just regulation's. If the place Burns down because of the wiring or someone is injured/dies then there is question why you didn't use the correct colours

use of old colours doesnt suddenly mean its going to burn down. if youve wired it so bad the place burns down, there is far more to it than old colours....

and who exactly do we 'register' new circuits with? blanket statements of incorrect info like that are useless. and thats the first time ive heard anyone say we changed colour bcause of people being colour blind...

We changed colours because of colour blindness,

Are you sure?

Blue, Brown, green/yellow came into being in appliance flex in 1969, whilst cables did not fully change until 2006 (Introduced 2004)
The only thing I could find is why the colours we have were chosen.

There are 11 colours available, red was used as a protective conductor in Germany and Austria, yellow was used as a protective conductor in Italy and green was used in the UK. Orange is not available because it is either too near yellow or too near red, purple is not available because it is too near red or blue and turquoise is not available because it is too near blue. Pink is not available because it is too near red.

No mention of colour blindness, sorry🙂

use of old colours doesnt suddenly mean its going to burn down. if youve wired it so bad the place burns down, there is far more to it than old colours....

and who exactly do we 'register' new circuits with? blanket statements of incorrect info like that are useless. and thats the first time ive heard anyone say we changed colour bcause of people being colour blind...
If you read than jumping up like a donkey 🐎 wiring regulations say can do what you want as they are JUST regulation's BUT if you change from them at the time. (IE I'm not ok to wire to 15wire regs that might say on to red and black) and some thing happens IE some colour blind twit mix live with ground ( should alway work with power off) then dies as only 50mA to stop your heart in the right place . then the law has the right to question why didn't you use the 18th wire regs

Locale council if not part of napit stroma or niceic .. is this a site for unqualified electrician's. If you don't reg a circuit then don't join a group NICEIC napit etc let every cowboy be a electrician

So chill

Internet for you full of drag queens ..
I did my electrician qualifications plus my testing . Design next
Also did electronic, I find electrician courses simple. But the bitchness kills me. If I want a stage fight I'd go to a X site

Last edited:
I've been told that colour blindness comes into it where the earth is green/yellow. So a colour blind person can see that it is made up of two colours. I can understand that logic. So at least the earth won't be mistaken for a line conductor.

Are you sure?

Blue, Brown, green/yellow came into being in appliance flex in 1969, whilst cables did not fully change until 2006 (Introduced 2004)

There are 11 colours available, red was used as a protective conductor in Germany and Austria, yellow was used as a protective conductor in Italy and green was used in the UK. Orange is not available because it is either too near yellow or too near red, purple is not available because it is too near red or blue and turquoise is not available because it is too near blue. Pink is not available because it is too near red.

Would you want to focus on people .

We are doing this because your handycap because you are not normal

I'd love to be foolish like you
That you feel that everyone has to explain to you why they are doing some thing

Last edited:
Are you sure?

Never heard of orange, pink, purple etc being unavailable for that reason. Both orange and purple are used as switched wires in France and Switzerland with no problems.

@DuaneMHunt1976 what you have are the basic qualifications to be considered as an electrician, probably no different to the majority on here? So I’m not sure why you think that makes you better?

Out of interest how long have you been qualified?

brown, blue, black, grey, red, orange, yellow, violet, grey, white, pink, turquoise, cream are all colours listed in table 51 and available for use...

colour blind has nothing to do with this. if it did, then every cable would be the same colour and numbers (but then youd be complaining that those who cant read might now get a shock)

Red and green is the most common colour blindness.

I'm calling Andy a glory tea maker.

I feel that a lot of you just know a 2.5mm cable is for sockets and 1.5mm for lights. Not the amps or reading the regulation any more as you believe you know them off by heart even when they change.
Keep up to date with your reading and don't shame the .. Sheep

you are defending a guy who doesn't reg new circuits.. not to talk about putting a note on The unit there will be a mixture or new and old colours.

is it not mandatory to use. Brown/blue

Red and green is the most common colour blindness.

I'm calling Andy a glory tea maker.

I feel that a lot of you just know a 2.5mm cable is for sockets and 1.5mm for lights. Not the amps or reading the regulation any more as you believe you know them off by heart even when they change.
Keep up to date with your reading and don't shame the .. Sheep

you are defending a guy who doesn't reg new circuits.. not to talk about putting a note on The unit there will be a mixture or new and old colours.

is it not mandatory to use. Brown/blue
Does the M stand for Michael ,?