Use Red/Black Twin and Earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We changed colours because of colour blindness,

I'd be very interested to see a link to the official document that backs up your claim?

I cannot see much mention of colour blindness in Appendix 7 of BS7671:2001 Amendment 2:2004, IEE wiring regulations 16th edition...
(applicable when the harmonisation changes were implemented between March 2004->2006)
or CENELEC standard HD 308 etc..

Always willing to be educated on the difference between fact, waffle, hear-say and complete tosh!

any links to colour-blindness claims gratefully accepted...?

brown, blue, black, grey, red, orange, yellow, violet, grey, white, pink, turquoise, cream are all colours listed in table 51 and available for use...

colour blind has nothing to do with this. if it did, then every cable would be the same colour and numbers (but then youd be complaining that those who cant read might now get a shock)
Just shows how much of a twit you are to colour blindness.

and who exactly do we 'register' new circuits with? blanket statements of incorrect info like that are useless. and thats the first time ive heard anyone say we changed colour bcause of people being colour blind...
Two points here Fleeting if your going to slag me off for spelling then do on to all.

You reg new circuit with building control depending on what county your in
Why it's easier to be with Niceic napit stroma and get them to reg as cheaper
Im shocked that no one jumps on to this. But hay sheep flock together

DuaneMHunt1976 said:
Just shows how much of a twit you are to colour blindness.

Resorting to calling names is usually a sign of losing the battle.

Can you show where it says the colours were changed for folk who are colour blind please? (This is NOT the first time you have been asked.) I am as yet unable to substantiate your earlier claim.

Red and green is the most common colour blindness.

I'm calling Andy a glory tea maker.

I feel that a lot of you just know a 2.5mm cable is for sockets and 1.5mm for lights. Not the amps or reading the regulation any more as you believe you know them off by heart even when they change.
Keep up to date with your reading and don't shame the .. Sheep

you are defending a guy who doesn't reg new circuits.. not to talk about putting a note on The unit there will be a mixture or new and old colours.

is it not mandatory to use. Brown/blue
Why do you get the idea from that Brown/Blue is not mandatory?

Two points here Fleeting if your going to slag me off for spelling then do on to all.

You reg new circuit with building control depending on what county your in
Why it's easier to be with Niceic napit stroma and get them to reg as cheaper
Im shocked that no one jumps on to this. But hay sheep flock together
Nether BS7671 nor Part-P building regulations mention anything about "reg a new circuit" ??

They do both mention correct inspection, testing & issuing of appropriate electrical certificates and building regulations compliance certificates for any notifiable work.

Is "reg a new circuit" something else you have made up like the harmonised cable identification being due to Colour blindness?

Please can you provide some links to the documents that state we must "Reg new circuits"..
AND the previous requested Colour blindness documentation??

If you are unable to provide links it may appear you are just another time waster posting unhelpful, factually incorrect information that is of no help to anyone..

I await your links with interest...

I'd be very interested to see a link to the official document that backs up your claim?

I cannot see much mention of colour blindness in Appendix 7 of BS7671:2001 Amendment 2:2004, IEE wiring regulations 16th edition...
(applicable when the harmonisation changes were implemented between March 2004->2006)
or CENELEC standard HD 308 etc..

I was under the impression colour changes were due to harmonisation wth Europe, but colour blindness was always part of what colours we use. It would make sense to have some consideration for such things, but since when did sense come into anything these days :D