Using unboxed wagos!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kethon

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here, and am a DIYer though I think I have pretty good grasp of regs (e.g 18th).

I have a garage, utility and conservatory on thier own radial (for power not lights). I asked an electrician to put and extra socket in the garage.

2 years later (now), I was in the garage loft and found that the radial had been broken into, but with 3 sets of wago blocks - unboxed, and then wrapped in black insulation tape, to cover the exposed blue/brown insulation.. Obviously not secured to any thing. (no cable clips in sight).

Am I being overly harsh in thinking this is a bit poor? I thought unboxed wagos were not permitted.

I actually undid it all and used a junction box secured and clipped it all down.

All connections must be enclosed, insulation tape serves no purpose whatsoever.

"I actually undid it all and used a junction box secured and clipped it all down."

You did exactly the right thing and were correct to be concerned without blowing it out of proportion ("not a clip in sight" is also a problem of course). You left the Wagos in use presumably and just enclosed them, with clips to prevent "undue strain to terminations". As a DIYer who bothers to be well conversant with the Reg's you'll know what areas fall under Part P and will not "exceed you authority" but will use your knowledge to keep an eye on the cowboys that still exist out there :-(

For the benefit of anyone doing a subject search in future: Maintenance Free connectors, marked MF, are only rated MF if "suitably enclosed" and the cables are supported or retained by some method that prevents the possibility of "undue strain to the terminations" -- all of which has been in the Reg's for several Editions.

Latest posts