Veritas R8 programming part set zones

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The previous owner of my house, "excluded", the zone where they kept the dog by putting gaffa tape over the sensor.

done a service on an alarm a few years ago. put it into walk test (easy enough, engineer code was default) and one sensor just wouldnt trigger it. removed cover to find it PCB facing the wrong way. apparantly when it was fitted a few years previously the dog kept trigger it, so the 'installer' fixed it by chaning it for a 'pet friendly' sensor... never gave a flase alarm since

try 1234... you might be lucky and it hasnt been changed

unfortunately not. tried that and 4321.  

Thanks for the help.  Guess I will get an engineer out to reset it or figure out how to do it myself.

So that a supplier/installer can retain overall control of a system..

basically, the 'installer' can hold the customer to ransom by programing a code that no one else can change therefore making their own equipment useless unless you go to them.  its a feature i never did like or agree with much

basically, the 'installer' can hold the customer to ransom by programing a code that no one else can change therefore making their own equipment useless unless you go to them.  its a feature i never did like or agree with much

Agreed...   :Salute

but I can understand some situations where it could be beneficial...

If you had a commercial system and you want to prevent a disgruntled / incompetent employee from messing it up...

Or..

If you are providing a maintenance contract to keep a system working...

Or.

If you are a landlord and want to ensure that DIY-Bob, Google-is-your-guide, tenant, hasn't been playing around to reset a system...

Then it can be useful having a secure code that cannot be overridden or disabled, so you know you can get back into a system.

BUT...

for the vast majority of domestic alarms where a homeowner has paid for a system,

they should have full access to all aspects of that alarm...

So they can choose to either manage the system themselves or seek professional help if they prefer..

And NOT be tied to the installing company for certain functions...

With domestic alarms I install, the homeowner is given all access codes and booklets/guides etc..

It's their choice if they want to come back to me...

or seek alternative assistance for later maintenance..

I look at it a bit like anyone who has bought a car can choose where they get it serviced.. 

or do it themselves!

(They should not be tied to going back to the place they bought the car).

Guinness

Latest posts