Very low amps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delhk

Reaction score
Hi, I recently had a solar instal with 8 x 410w panels. They are connected in series and this feeds into a 5k inverter. 

The issue I have is while the voltage is high 250+ the amperage is unbelievably low...like 0.08

Now, obviously mid November ain't the best time to generate power but I would have thought more than a few Watts. Anyone came across this before...?  Is solar panels SO bad in winter they are almost pointless? 

I am averaging about 2 units a day just now, that was 3 kWh yesterday but only 1kWh today so in answer to your question my system is also fairly pants from about now to mid February.

Had my system in for 10 years and the quarterly output is fairly predictable.

I am averaging about 2 units a day just now, that was 3 kWh yesterday but only 1kWh today so in answer to your question my system is also fairly pants from about now to mid February.

Had my system in for 10 years and the quarterly output is fairly predictable.
Yes but a huge difference between 2kwh and 0.02kwh?

From now until late January you will get "zero days" when the output is so low on a grey dull overcast day to not be enough to even start the inverter.

I would expect a 5kW system to be on 2 strings not just one?

From now until late January you will get "zero days" when the output is so low on a grey dull overcast day to not be enough to even start the inverter.

I would expect a 5kW system to be on 2 strings not just one?
I am waiting on the other eight panels being installed... The second string. This weekend hopefully 

Yes but a huge difference between 2kwh and 0.02kwh?
Remember 2kWh is a total for the day, yesterday in fact which was sunshiny, today it varied between 30W and 200W to give me a total daily generation of 1kWh.

As Dave says there will be some days in winter where you will get the grand sum of nowt.

What was your total daily generation figure over say the last week?

It's just very dull and overcast, so performance will be low. Colder and hopefully clearer weather next week should see a better output. Only having half your panels doesn't help as they are trying to drive a large inverter.

Remember 2kWh is a total for the day, yesterday in fact which was sunshiny, today it varied between 30W and 200W to give me a total daily generation of 1kWh.

As Dave says there will be some days in winter where you will get the grand sum of nowt.

What was your total daily generation figure over say the last week?
Yes I appreciate the figures but my total daily generation for today was 0.07kw.and that is the best I have seen all week 😂 normally its about 10w-20w generated at any given hour. 

It's just very dull and overcast, so performance will be low. Colder and hopefully clearer weather next week should see a better output. Only having half your panels doesn't help as they are trying to drive a large inverter.
Thanks for your reply. I sure hope so. As I said i have the rest of the panels going up this weekend so hope to see better results.  Is it possible poor woring could be a cause? I do get the correct voltage and when I do continuity test it's all good... But niggling at the amps... The multimeter don't even register them they are so low. 

Thank you

if there was anything wrong with the wiring, the inverter would probably find it during start up checks they run through every day.

It's difficult to compare figures with systems in different parts of the country as obviously the weather can be very different. I've always disliked fitting solar in winter as customers definetly get underwhelmed when they are expecting mega watts of energy. My own system generated 2.1kWh today, but we did get a few hours of hazy sunshine today. You will find you get some of the best days generation during spring and autumn when we get clear cold skies and hence stronger sunshine. Summer offers longer hours of daylight, but can often have a lot of water vapour in the sky. Your inverter is basically twice the size it needs to be, so whilst they are far more efficient than they used to be, it's like trying to drive a BMW with a mini engine.

May be a silly question - what is the inverter feeding?     Your voltages sound OK (suggesting there's some light hitting the panels) but It's not going to draw much current if there is no load or the load is an already full battery.

The Panel voltage  off /on load gives a reasonable idea of the ability to generate voltage/ power 

May be a silly question - what is the inverter feeding?     Your voltages sound OK (suggesting there's some light hitting the panels) but It's not going to draw much current if there is no load or the load is an already full battery.

The Panel voltage  off /on load gives a reasonable idea of the ability to generate voltage/ power 
load is irrelevant to power output. You can get a voltage at the panels on a bright moon lit night, but no power. The amps is directly related to power, inverters will drop the voltages to get amps and hence power - never did quite understand how that works, but that clever stuff is part of the internal inverter workings.

It's on grid inverter. Sofar solar 5000es

Load is house and there is also a pylontech battery. 

I'm going to wait till I add the second string this weekend and see if that helps. I will post my results. It has been very overcast (up here is sunny Scotland) and possibly the inverter needs more than what I'm. Currently giving it. 

I appreciate its dull and grey but genuine power in Watts is like 20 - 30 😂 I got 60w today though... 

It's on grid inverter. Sofar solar 5000es

Load is house and there is also a pylontech battery. 

I'm going to wait till I add the second string this weekend and see if that helps. I will post my results. It has been very overcast (up here is sunny Scotland) and possibly the inverter needs more than what I'm. Currently giving it. 

I appreciate its dull and grey but genuine power in Watts is like 20 - 30 😂 I got 60w today though... 
Keep us posted 🙂  What I'm trying to say is until there's something connected to the inverter output that is pulling (or trying to pull) 200W you are never going to know if the system can supply 200W under any particular weather conditions etc.

Keep us posted 🙂  What I'm trying to say is until there's something connected to the inverter output that is pulling (or trying to pull) 200W you are never going to know if the system can supply 200W under any particular weather conditions etc.
Appologies, I misunderstood what you were asking. ☺ 

Yes the house load is about 300w per hour (idle at day) but if washing machine etc is on then its obviously higher. 

Also the battery is never fully charged so surley it would still draw power to charge battery? 

Also the battery is never fully charged so surley it would still draw power to charge battery? 

Your battery shpuld only be charging from surplus energy from the panels, and as you are currently not generating much, it won't be charging much. They do occasionally charge up the battery from mains supply to keep the battery in good condition, and you can on some models, set it to take a full charge from the grid. That can usually be done via 'operating modes' and dependent on the inverter, via the app for the inverter. 

Your battery shpuld only be charging from surplus energy from the panels, and as you are currently not generating much, it won't be charging much. They do occasionally charge up the battery from mains supply to keep the battery in good condition, and you can on some models, set it to take a full charge from the grid. That can usually be done via 'operating modes' and dependent on the inverter, via the app for the inverter. 
You are the man.... ☺