vigi units merlin gerin

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30milliamp

Reaction score
ok first question for you esteemed sparks,the final setting of vigi units (merlin gerin) after obtaining pfc pscc ze hertz,voltage,and total connected load, and the use of 160amp rccd main circuit breakers controlling other mccbs.when setting 3 or more dials on these vigi units,what are the parameters if whole installation is protected by bs 88 gg fuses.for the setting of the settings on vigi units,in order to set discrimination for overload,and rccd nuisance tripping of the rccd.all the loads are balanced and within fuse /mccb parameters,

on the set up i have just tried to configure,it has an amber warning light on the first vigi,the other 2 vigis i can understand,I/0 i/r BUT,there is no leakage current detected,but after air conditioning team set up there ac units,the main rcccd vigi unit goes amber alarm,then shuts off main switch after 20 or so mins,the ac guys says there side of install is clear,and we say our side of install is clear,as such,we are left with a blame game,all clean earths are sorted,and the ac (air conditioniong team) have decided to raise the limits of the vigi units so that the alarm disappears,this to me is masking a problem,as such,i ask u here for any sensible pointers.thanks.

hmmmm,maybe shoulda posted in ask question area,oops moderator,my error.

Is this in an Industrial or Commercial Premises?

If not, and you want me to move the thread to Q & A, it won't be a problem to do that for you.

Aircon and vigi units? Sounds like this post is in the right place to me! :p

quite a usual problem,

not a 100% certain of the vigi units,

but remember that hvac units put a virtual short across the supply.

do vigis have a discrimination for this?

there may be a little selector slider at the rear of it somewhere.

s'funny, cos i will be doing a couple of these next weekend, was meant to be this sat night, but im away this weekend so will be next now.

sorry, I missed the clean earth bit.

can they cope with clean earths ok.?

this was one of the main reasons no-one uses clean earth anymore, too much discrepancy between measuring points.

its only in past year since i been back in UK that seems to be still in dark ages as regards clean earths,

done a massive telephone exchange 3 years ago and absolutely nothing had a clean earth, in fact the opposite, everything was bonded together like mad.

main bonding points every 100m or so and everything bonded back from these in 240mm cable to earthing conductor.