Voltage for Adapters to use variety of stuff.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann

Reaction score
Hello

I  have a stash of electrical gadgets that require ‘special’  adapters to use via uk wall sockets. For example : PC , strip lighting, Rechargable battery gadget, rechargable work light. 

I was looking for a way to learn about voltage and which adapters can be used for what. I’m sure I’m buying more adapters than I need and that one adapter probably fits several gadgets. 

Ive searched online for info but haven’t found anything useful. Does anyone have a link, or info that would explain voltage/ wattage / etc in plain English?

help would be appreciated. 

Ann 

I steal the wifes/daughters unwanted nail varnish and write with it on the wall wart what appliance it fits as soon as I buy it. 

Hello Ann, short answer no I don't have a link.  But I think the question you are asking is about the relationship between Voltage, Wattage and Current?    e.g. where one product may quote a power (watts) rating and another product may quote a current (amps) rating?

To try and put things into a visual concept: if you are trying to evaluate how dangerous it may be to wade across a river you would look at (a) how wide and deep is the river (b) how fast the water is flowing.  (c) the overall force of the river looking at the volume of the water and the speed it moves at.  Where deep and wide may not be too much of a problem if it is slow moving. but shallow and narrow on a very fast moving current could be fatal.

Electricity has a pressure Voltage, (bigger volts more pressure).  Current flowing Amps, (more amps could be considered as faster flowing).  Power or force of the electricity Watts.  Bigger pressure and bigger current = bigger force or power.

in electricity the Voltage x Current = Watts.    (Pressure x Flow rate = Force)  VxI=W

or Watts / Voltage = Current   (Force / Pressure = Flow rate)     W/V=I

or Watts / Current = Voltage  (Force / Flow rate = Pressure)     W/I=V

Unsure if that's answered your question, but please come back to say if I am wrong?

Doc H.       

The EU had tried to get agreement between the different mobile manufacturers so that they would all use the same power adaptor ................... which was going to plan until Apple said it wouldn't comply

As for all the other items around the house ......... standardisation just isn't going to happen

So OP, like most of us we will all have many adaptors for years to come.