Voltimum - Builder Fined Following NAPIT’s Intervention

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Social Integrator

News Hound
Reaction score
David Appleton was fined a total of over £8,000 at Bristol Magistrates’ Court after substandard electrical work was found at two properties he had worked on. NAPIT were invited by South Gloucestershire Council to conduct inspections on these properties after the council’s Building Control Department found that work may have breached the Building Regulations. The subsequent investigation uncovered several major electrical faults, some of which could have posed immediate danger to inhabitants.

David Cowburn, NAPIT’s Chief Operating Officer, said “I was delighted to hear the outcome of this court case, and I hope it sends a clear message that non-compliance with the Building Regulations is unacceptable. This case also serves as a reminder that using qualified and competent electricians to undertake work can help to stop dangerous situations like these from arising. South Gloucestershire Council have set a fantastic example in pursuing this prosecution, and we would like other Local Authorities to follow their lead to ensure that the Building Regulations are respected.”

Cllr Paul Hughes, Cabinet Member responsible for Communities and Tourism in South Gloucestershire, said: “This case demonstrates the importance of ensuring the correct route is followed when undertaking any building work. Construction is a complex arena where unscrupulous individuals can take advantage of customers’ unfamiliarity with legislation, and profit from cutting corners. Our Building Control team has a very important role to play in maintaining a level playing field for local businesses and to make sure householders can be confident that where unsatisfactory and unsafe work is evident it will be followed up. In this case, we stepped in when a complaint was made and engaged with NAPIT to successfully bring this prosecution, and the outcome proves that a hard line will be taken by the council on those who profiteer at the expense of others’ safety.”

NAPIT has long been calling for the enforcement of Part P of the Building Regulations to be strengthened, after sponsoring a 2013 report by the Electrical Safety Roundtable which found that only one successful prosecution under Part P had taken place in the previous two years. For more information on NAPIT’s suggestions for improving compliance with Part P, visit http://www.napit.org.uk/pdf/briefing_note_Compliance_and_Enforcement_of_Part_P_of_the_Building_Regulations.pdf.

To find out more about the Electrical Safety Roundtable’s research into enforcement of Part P of the Building Regulations, visit http://www.electricalsafetyroundtable.co.uk/downloads/ESR-report-summary.pdf.

To find your nearest NAPIT registered installer, visit www.napit.org.uk.

Brand: 
NAPIT

Topic: 
Regulations and Legislation
Training & Education
Certification Schemes

Teaser: 
NAPIT has called for more prosecutions to be brought against electrical work which does not comply with Part P of the Building Regulations, after playing a key role in a conviction in South Gloucestershire by conducting a full Electrical Compliance Inspection.

Type: 
Industry News

Main image(s): 

prosecution-pr_838_210.png.c1f3f0e0e2c77420a56c7220d36a22d7.png

Date of publication: 
31/08/2018

Target group: 
Voltimum

View the full article

What is an electrical roundtable?

Is it wooden?

Perhaps it should be encased in steel, just in case it spontaneously combusts?

So we need and electrical round table? 

Are there knights at these round table events? 

Besides my ramblings, this popped up in my news feed (must be a slow news day).

http://www.dudleynews.co.uk/news/16610327.dudley-electrician-alan-riley-in-court-for-failing-to-carry-out-work-to-a-safe-standard/

Slightly spurious and not very clear but perhaps they have come down from their ivory towers to see what's going on down here?

Two things come from your link Ducky, 

1) if only a small amount of money was needed to rectify the faults then why wasn’t he given the opportunity to do so and why was the penalties so high? 

2) it just goes to demonstrate to Mr Kerching the reason he needs to do a three day course :pmsl1:

1) if only a small amount of money was needed to rectify the faults then why wasn’t he given the opportunity to do so and why was the penalties so high? 

If he doesn’t know the current regulations that’s a bit of a non starter.

Before I did the 17th I hadn’t seen a copy of the regulations since the 14th.

Two things come from your link Ducky, 

2) it just goes to demonstrate to Mr Kerching the reason he needs to do a three day course :pmsl1:
Yep

he can do,the same 3 day course as me as we are both equally unqualified

when we pass we wil ,both be the same standard

simples

who comes up with this 💩

Course?  What course?

I did my 18th exam on the 3rd July before any courses started!

I was asked to by the training centre I work for on times as a backup tutor!

Can’t teach it if you don’t hold it.

So someone has to do the exam without the course!

I wish these things would explain exactly what he did "wrong"  Even if he had not updated his training and it was wired to the 15th edition regs, probably the most "dangerous" thing would be lack of rcd's?

But without details we can only guess in what way this work was "wrong" or "unsafe"

This all begs a rather big question - why were NAPIT involved .................... its not like the schemes jump to act on poor workmanship

Was it a simple case of claiming to be a NAPIT member when he wasn't?

This all begs a rather big question - why were NAPIT involved .................... its not like the schemes jump to act on poor workmanship

Was it a simple case of claiming to be a NAPIT member when he wasn't?

From the article it states that "NAPIT were invited by South Gloucestershire Council to conduct inspections on these properties after the council’s Building Control Department found that work may have breached the Building Regulations. The subsequent investigation uncovered several major electrical faults, some of which could have posed immediate danger to inhabitants."  Which to me suggests that there could have been other non electrical related building reg's issues that were being investigated as well and NAPIT were invited as an independent assessment of the electrical work?  If so, that makes a pleasant change from everything going to NICEIC!

Doc H. 

@Murdoch, there are some people who are fraternising with the enemy to try and get the industry changed, skills improved, rip off training providers brought to task etc. etc.

This is hopefully just the start.

Its a bit like not using your phone when driving ................. people will only change their habits when MANY MORE people are prosecuted .............. one swallow does not make it summer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a bit like not using your phone when driving ................. people will only change their habits when MANY MORE people are prosecuted .............. one swallow does not make it summer!

I agree Murdoch, that is why I am trying to be part of the solution, and networking with these people and understanding their mindset, so that we can prepare counter arguments with proof that what they think and see is not what is happening in the real world.

There are some that know, and want to make a change, the trouble is, their just a small voice at the moment, and they need help to grow, so it is a slow but steady process.

I agree Murdoch, that is why I am trying to be part of the solution, and networking with these people and understanding their mindset, so that we can prepare counter arguments with proof that what they think and see is not what is happening in the real world.

There are some that know, and want to make a change, the trouble is, their just a small voice at the moment, and they need help to grow, so it is a slow but steady process.

well .................. not many people understand Part P and fewer still have heard of BS 7671 ................ let alone the changes that will cost them money ................... that's where education needs to start 

Sparks quote by the book and Dave from the pub or Harry the handyman cut corners and come in cheaper ................ 

well .................. not many people understand Part P and fewer still have heard of BS 7671 ................ let alone the changes that will cost them money ................... that's where education needs to start 

Sparks quote by the book and Dave from the pub or Harry the handyman cut corners and come in cheaper ................ 
Exactly, that is a big problem that needs addressing!

and one that won't be addressed ..................... so we get caught in the cross fire constantly having to explain why we need to do things that customers don't think they need or don't want to pay for ...........

What we need is a membership scheme that’s actually fighting for us as opposed to against us or for self promotion.