W10 help please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SWMBO has W10 on an Acer laptop. All been working fine (as well as W10 is capable of)

But now it won't connect to the internet Trying to connect by our BT home hub via wifi.

It finds the router and says "Connected, secured, no internet"

You can ping the router from a command line at it's IP address 192.168.1.254

If you try and point a browser window to 192.168.1.254 it says no internet (you should be able to see the routers log in page). It invites you to run windows network checker, which says "Windows cannot automatically detect this networks Proxy"

What do I do?

Router is working with other wifi laptop and wired PC. Have re booted router and W10 laptop. Have not changed any settings since it was working this morning.

It’s clearly got an ip address. This can happen when windows update fumbles a Wifi device update.  

Open device manager and find the Wi-fi adapter.  Uninstall it and restart the pc when it should re install ( you may have to re enter passwords) 

It is not a wifi issue.

I have turned off wifi, and connected an ethernet cable to the laptop. Exactly the same, it can ping local IP addresses but not connect to them through the browser. I cannot connect to a DNS so can't ping external websites.  The network diagnostics gives the same network proxy error.

At the moment it is set to "automatically detect proxy settings"  Any ideas on manual settings to try?

It is not a wifi issue.

I have turned off wifi, and connected an ethernet cable to the laptop. Exactly the same, it can ping local IP addresses but not connect to them through the browser. I cannot connect to a DNS so can't ping external websites.  The network diagnostics gives the same network proxy error.

At the moment it is set to "automatically detect proxy settings"  Any ideas on manual settings to try?

give it an ip of 192.168.1.125 (if you get IP conflict change the 125 to another number between 0 and 253)

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.254

DNS 8.8.8.8 or 192.168.1.254

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I missed that . . .   Uninstall the Ethernet adapter and reboot then . .

That may do it - in the past I've had to manually attack the relevant adapter though. 

Also I don't think you've said if you have restarted the router.  Small chance but worth doing if it is still not working

Well thank F for that, the "network reset" finally fixed it.

That's about the only redeeming feature I have found yet for W10, that someone thought to include a function to repair it when it screws itself up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts