Wander lead - make or buy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 50metre drum of 1.5mm single earth wire. You can get to one end of the run as they wrap it into the centre of the drum and the other end is on the edge of the drum. I also use it to bond the back boxes on PIR inspections instead of stripping down some 2.5mm
An inspection is just that, not remedial works. Has anyone ever seen a back box with two adjustable lugs on the same plane ? I never have so a bond to the box is not normally necessary. Although this has been mentioned many times before and this is not the right place

An inspection is just that, not remedial works. Has anyone ever seen a back box with two adjustable lugs on the same plane ? I never have so a bond to the box is not normally necessary. Although this has been mentioned many times before and this is not the right place
There are not many left think some of the real old MK ones were but as you say not many.

Same here, yes a lot of money for what it is but the tim eit saves me on PIRs etc is invaluable, wouldn't be without it

Hi all, well, I have got a Megger 30m one from Megger Mark. Lovely quality supple cable, winds back in in seconds, the proper connectors on the ends, the proper job... Why go to all that effort of trying to make one, not as if they cost hundreds,

By the time you work out hat it takes you to make the lead and what you could be earning in that time, or if not earning spending quality leisure time.

I can't see the point in not buying!

Also, IF you have a H&S issue with your "home made" test lead, HSE & their professional witnesses WILL have a field day with you make no mistake!

Buy all the time especially if you are doing anything other than working on your own on domestic premises that are not subject to any other controls.

However, remember also that ALL your work comes under CDM like it or not, if you are working on even private domestic rewires.

7671 is realistically the last of your considerations...

I was dilly dallying for years Started off using my ext lead with the Kewtech adaptors For a one off job its ok but if you do

a bit of testing I found it a pain in the rectum.

Bought a wander lead a lot easier than plugging all the bits in and looks more professional;