want to Understand Fan Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste3g

Reaction score
I have a new ceiling bathroom extractor fan which has 2 terminals. blue & Black. The house supply cable in the loft has 4 wires. Earth, brown, black and grey ( switched live presumably )

The light switch controls the fan and there is an isolator switch higher up on the wall.

Please can someone explain the wiring diagram because I wan’t to understand the circuit.
Many thanks.

( see attached pix )

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpeg
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_0494.jpeg
    IMG_0494.jpeg
    1.4 MB
Convention is grey= neutral, brown= permanent live and black = switched L, but there are variations so you would normally check to confirm that.

In that case brown and E you safely terminate as they are not used. Black to the fan blue, and grey to the fan black

What's the red and black crimped together?

Hi ProDave,
Thank you. You’re right. I checked the other fan in the other bathroom.
And I did what you said and it works perfectly. I safely terminated the live permanent brown. And put the black wire into the live blue of the fan. Grey wire to black neutral of the fan. I don’t know what that crimped bit is. The fan came like that.
Hit with your help I understand the wiring now.
I think the permanent live brown must be for thermostatic fans with an overrun. The one I bought is a simple fan.
All the switches work now and it hasn’t tripped! lol.
It’s really satisfying learning something.
Thanks for your help man.
I appreciate it.
Steve.
( photo is the previous fan )

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    1.5 MB