• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Talk Electrician Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted : Hager Powerbreaker Lid Bolts

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mort2376

The devil's in the details, or the dodgy wiring !
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any of the plastic sealing bolts used on Hager Powerbreaker lids ?

Found a company in Germany that has them but £150 minimum order.

I'm only looking for 2.

Happy to pay postage, beer tokens, blood if necessary !!!!!! Lol.

Part number apparently is ZZ71A. But can't seem to find a UK supplier.

Any help is much appreciated 🙏 🙂

'Powerbreaker' is the notice from an rcd socket or spur which has been fitted nothing to do with the consumer unit.

remove existing plastic screw and a long woodscrew, enough to reach the wood behind it, along with a washer works
Unless this screw has an insulating tunnel it would require an earth connection. RAF springs to mind.

Any of what you are suggesting 😁
What ramming a conductive part through a consumer unit to replace an all insulated part. Considering you like to sing the demise of our trade I am somewhat surprised you seem to condone what is essentially a cowboy bodge and something the forum should not be suggesting as a fix.

Last edited:
Can it be tapped 6-8mm then a plastic 6-8mm screw put in? I’ve done that a few years ago, not sure what make the board was.

I have seen the long screw and washer used. And I think the entire section is a plastic tunnel so earthing would not be an issue.

I will be keeping these bolts from any consumer units I strip out in future.

It seems difficult to justify to a customer that the cu needs replacing as the bolts have failed.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

What ramming a conductive part through a consumer unit to replace an all insulated part. Considering you like to sing the demise of our trade I am somewhat surprised you seem to condone what is essentially a cowboy bodge and something the forum should not be suggesting as a fix.

we are on holiday but iirc the fixings on these don’t touch the cables inside

I have seen the long screw and washer used. And I think the entire section is a plastic tunnel so earthing would not be an issue.

It seems difficult to justify to a customer that the cu needs replacing as the bolts have failed.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Agree with you...I like Hager stuff, good quality....except for that bolt they used in the past... good quality wood screw works.... safer the lid stays on than drops off.

Which is why I am looking for solutions rather than a heavy handed suckin through the teeth it's gonna cost you an extra £550 for me to change that because those screws will snap when I open it up to connect up.

Had exactly the same problem last week. Only ones seem to be available in Germany and most won't post to UK at all (don't mention the 'B' word).
So I sent an email to Hager and explained the problem and the part I needed.
Three days later, Mr Postman delivered two (free) replacement plastic screws.
Don't ask, you don't get.

if the board cover could fall off, then it's a 'dangerous situation' -hopefully one you didn't create ;)

I don't know if this is still applicable, but there was a phrase I read somewhere about 'emergency board changes' and not needing to do any testing, so basically you could change the board at a lower cost, ie without a full inspection and test. Not sure I would be totally happy doing that these days, and would probably do some basic Zs readings as a minimum, but it's a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.