What a nice customer.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHippyDad

Reaction score
2 weeks ago a customer who I have done jobs for in the past, asks me to fit an extra wall light in the living room, this light will come on with the other wall lights. I do the pre-works visit and all looks simple enough.
The new wall light will go very close to a switch which has a neutral in it and is also already a 2 way switch for the existing wall lights, the other 2 way switch being on the other side of the room. I reckoned the job would literally be around 45minutes, very easy.

I can't remember why, but during the pre-works visit I decided to have a quick check in the other 2 way switch (the one I would not be using for power). It was messy (3 gangs in total).
I quickly put the plate switch back on and left well alone.

I give the quote (based on 1 hour). The lady accepts, but mentions the wall lights are now not switching on from the switch I opened up.

I return to do the job, see a conductor not quite in it's position in the switch, connect it in and expect everything to be fine.

However, it then all goes wrong!

It then turned into an incorrectly wired 2 way switching arrangement, which can be an absolute nightmare. Different coloured conductors in both switches, meaning a junction box somewhere. Also, it was just an odd design. I have seen many, many different configurations of 2 way switching and this wasn't any of them. 2 hours later, at the end of the day I give up (pulling my hair out), go home, sit down quietly, draw out what I believe it should look like and return the next day.

I wire it up completely differently to how it was, and it works!

The next day I get a call saying the outside light is now not working. This is on a sensor so I could not check it on the day.

I return today, fix it.

A half an hour job turned in to 4 separate days!

I realise some may say that the switching probably wasn't correct to start with, but the customer is adamant is was and she does seem on the ball.

I only billed my initial quote as I believe it all to be my error, although I can't figure out how. She insisted on giving me an extra tenner each time I came and didn't mind all the fuss at all :)

On a side note, she also had 7 (10 week old) puppies, so each visit was a joy :D