What can I legally do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shandy

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry for the short question but the stupid page just crashed and I'm not writing it all again. X( :)

I've just passed 17th edition and am wondering what is the qualification / registration progression to full electrical self employment? Dom install.

Can you do anything with just 17th and electricians cert?

Thanks for reading.

Andy Shandy

Sounds like you are now an electrician to me , Tell the tax man you are self employed as of whatever date and as an ELECSA ite for domestic work, I would recommend them.

You will need the following :-

Public Liability Ins,

Regs Book

On Site Guide

Complaints book

Insul Tester / RCD tester/ Loop Imp tester

At least one site to visit that you have the test records for

Show that you submit written quotes

He needs to see that you are competant with the testing and usually drop a question in like , say hes asked you to read the Ze you say its 0.2 " OK and what is the maximum for a PME supply ?

Go for it , you'll be fine

Deke

if your using domestic jobs for assessment, have they been registered with the local bc before you undertook them - as at that point you aren't registered with any scam, so legally you can't do the work?

Chicken - egg situation? Lol

Like i've said in other posts - industrial/commercial work rocks :D

D.

So are you legal as soon as you've had your assessment - providing you pass of course!?

if your using domestic jobs for assessment, have they been registered with the local bc before you undertook them - as at that point you aren't registered with any scam, so legally you can't do the work?Chicken - egg situation? Lol

Like i've said in other posts - industrial/commercial work rocks :D

D.
what you need is a little extension where planning permission has been granted and payment for this has been made by the customer

you notify B.C. at not cost to yourself they check first fix and as you can provide certs they dont bother coming out again

use this as your assessed job

you notify B.C. at not cost to yourself they check first fix and as you can provide certs they dont bother coming out again
Having a 17th edition - you can write out certs? Is that right??

Having a 17th edition - you can write out certs? Is that right??
having a pen and a book of certs means you can write out certs,

everything else is a bonus,

BUT,

if its notifiable work then you must tell(notify) BC about it beforehand.

have a look at the definition of an electrician,

(its at the start of the electricity at work book , I think, or else 7671)

it may surprise you. ;)

Thanks for the info, its all a little less daunting now. For some reason the process seems impossible and not worth the hastle, now i just need a kick up the butt, a few tools, a van.....